What's new
What's new

What drill bit sharpening system gives the most bang for the buck?

woodworkerJB

Aluminum
Everytime I go over and tinker at my Dad's shop I go crazy because every drill bit over there is so dull it only shines the metal. So for Christmas I want to get him a good bit sharpening system. So I ask all of you in the know, What drill bit sharpening system gives the most bang for the buck?

Hi There....had the same problem and am getting so blind at 67 that anything smallet the 3/8" is a problem so I bought a drill doctor it will sharpen to 5/8" do not know why I did not do this years ago would of saved a lot of agony
Cheers
JM

The best thing you can do is to get someone to teach you how to properly sharpen drills by hand. They may not be at the perfect angle or the point centered to 0.0005, but this basic skill will get you out of a bind if a super fancy sharpener isn't around.

A used Darex is worth its weight in new Drill Doctors. I bought a Drill doctor some years back and quickly found I could do a better job free hand. The Darex on the other hand puts a point with proper geometry on each bit every time and you don't have to find the drill point gage. I got a screaming deal on mine from a guy whose wife was insisting he thin the herd on his collection of sharpening equipment. A new Darex system might be out of your price range but I've seen them sold used on line reasonably.

If your dad doesn't use drill bits in any professional capacity perhaps a Drill Doctor will serve his/your purpose. As far as Christmas presents go, a Drill doctor would certainly be better than a tie.

Since you don't have a budget, I'd get a Winslow HC.
Used_HC-lg.jpg

JR

Hi There....had the same problem and am getting so blind at 67 that anything smallet the 3/8" is a problem so I bought a drill doctor it will sharpen to 5/8" do not know why I did not do this years ago would of saved a lot of agony
Cheers
JM

Pieces of crap and a good way to get a thread locked...

I'm trying to find a used 'professional grade' machine now. That thing that shall not be named did ok for bits used on wood, but I have a box that is waiting for a real sharpening system now as they're useless on a machine working with metal. I've gotten better results by hand, but with the winter months, my annual guest, Mr Arthur Itus means hand sharpening is a painful and often futile endeavor on anything smaller than 1/2"

Are there any sources other than eBay for used, good machines?

I snagged a Black Diamond #2B off Craigslist this past summer for $375. It works for most stuff, just not easy to do split point geometry. Regular 118º point jobber and screw machine length drills are no problem.

The machines are out there, deals can be had.

IMG_1293-r.jpg

And yes, I have ALL the bushings, from #80 to 1/2" and the master 9/16".

I own a Lisle drill sharpener. it works great and sharpens from 1/8-1 1/4" drills, 2, 3, and 4 flutes. I would recomend it to anyone.

I also have Lisle, but I have had problems burning the bit because the machine too flexible, particularly on the larger bits.

Tom

The only time I have "burning" problems is when the wheel is loaded up. I frequently use the supplied dressing tool and dress the wheel to make some nice clean grinds. I also havnt noticed any problems with flex. Mine makes factory perfect grinds every time.

I have a Kaindl BSM20 (German made)

Its a nice grinder, has versatility, does a nice job, and doesnt use collets. (.05 - .875")
Sharpens standard, brad point, carbide, 2 flute end mills, counter sinks, etc
Its pricey new.. I purchased one off eBay for good price.

Kaindl Drill Bit Sharpener BSM 20

Dan

Attachments

• kaindl.jpg
    kaindl.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 16,797

Back