What's new
What's new

What exactly is Cylindrical Margin and what does it impact?

HawaiianMike

Plastic
I understand it by definition;
Cylindrical Margin: Portion of the “uncleared” area on the peripheral area of the tool, allowing for a small area of contact with the work piece.

But why would someone opt to have an end mill have a greater cylindrical margin as opposed to the average end mill.

Wouldn't a larger cylindrical margin cause rubbing? Does it locate/stabilize the drill? Just increase the strength of the drill?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

I understand it by definition;
Cylindrical Margin: Portion of the “uncleared” area on the peripheral area of the tool, allowing for a small area of contact with the work piece.

But why would someone opt to have an end mill have a greater cylindrical margin as opposed to the average end mill.

Wouldn't a larger cylindrical margin cause rubbing? Does it locate/stabilize the drill? Just increase the strength of the drill?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
Drills have cylindrical margin ,end mills don't. Edwin Dirnbeck on edit what are you talking about ,end mills or drills.

What I have read is they're used in some endmills for softer materials (i.e. aluminum) as a way of getting a smoother finish and damping vibration. Sort of like a wiper on a turning insert.
It is "MY OPINION" that cylindrical margin if it exists on and end mill at all,is there so that when you measure an end mill with a micrometer ,it measures the nominal size. If the fluting operation on an end mill is poorly done , the outside diameter will be reduced from nominal diameter.This is especialy true when cnc grinding the cutting clearance. Notice whenever you feel a resharpened end mill where they are not trying to hold a specific size,the cut edge is razor sharp.So yes I stand corrected ,a new end mill MIGHT have some of that stuf. Edwin Dirnbeck

There are differing types of cylindrical margins.
One refers to a straight OD grind grind like a drill or reamer. These don't work on endmills and why your drill won't cut sideways like an endmill..
The other is a cylindrical ground relief grind which is a cylinder ground form but not on centerline with the tool itself but instead falls away to provide clearance. It's C/L is shifted.
Bob

Hi Bob,
The link in #6 looks and is described pretty much like a straight cylinder, they don't mention an offset. I'll try contacting Helical on Monday to see if I can get a clarification of how they do it.

Back