What's new
What's new

OT:Adding a third function to a loader

What do you have for a tractor? Closed or open center hydraulics is an absolutely must know. Then we can get into further questions.

Depends on how you are going to plumb it

Do you have spare auxiliary outlets? If so than that is dead simple.

If you intend to tap into the supply for the loader than you need a open center valve with appropriate circuit reliefs.

Prolly easiest to locate the loader valve and stack a section on.

If you have load sencing hyd than you will need a valve with a sence line.

Would help if I knew the tractor model and serial# + any info on the loader (picture of the valve)

I have an electric solenoid valve on the dump function of my loader to operate the 4 in 1 bucket. A button was installed on top of the stick. W R Long selector valve kit shown at the bottom of the page. It comes with the lever handle with the button installed.

Valve Kits

It is not a true Power Beyond third circuit, but it works off the same stick and I don't find that I truly need to run both functions simultaneously, since the bucket roll and top clamp work off the same function of the lever, just pushing or releasing the button while holding the stick to the side will allow enough feathering of the roll and clamp function to be almost simultaneous.

I also added a manual diverter so that I could have three functions on the rear valve as well.

I have an electric solenoid valve on the dump function of my loader to operate the 4 in 1 bucket. A button was installed on top of the stick. W R Long selector valve kit shown at the bottom of the page. It comes with the lever handle with the button installed.

Valve Kits

It is not a true Power Beyond third circuit, but it works off the same stick and I don't find that I truly need to run both functions simultaneously, since the bucket roll and top clamp work off the same function of the lever, just pushing or releasing the button while holding the stick to the side will allow enough feathering of the roll and clamp function to be almost simultaneous.

I also added a manual diverter so that I could have three functions on the rear valve as well.

That's essentially what I want to do, just I want it to be a true third function. I can easily tap into the power beyond line(supply for the 3 pt hitch), I just need to know what style of valve to run in series on that line.

I need a 4th function on a 3 function CAT 15,500 lb capacity forklift...to power sideshift and fork positioning. Right now I'm powering fork positioning only. I figure a couple of manual ballvalves better than nothing...get off forklift and shift them at the junction. Have yet to actually do it though I so rarely need side shift.

To add to irony I have a 4 function 5K Daewoo electric forklift and yet have no side shift or fork positioning carriage on it...just basic forks.

If you expect any one to answer this question

#1 What kind of tractor ?

what model tractor,serial#?

What gpm and preshure and what do you intend to run with this function?

There are 1,000snds of valves to chose from

That's essentially what I want to do, just I want it to be a true third function. I can easily tap into the power beyond line(supply for the 3 pt hitch), I just need to know what style of valve to run in series on that line.

I need a 4th function on a 3 function CAT 15,500 lb capacity forklift...to power sideshift and fork positioning. Right now I'm powering fork positioning only. I figure a couple of manual ballvalves better than nothing...get off forklift and shift them at the junction. Have yet to actually do it though I so rarely need side shift.

To add to irony I have a 4 function 5K Daewoo electric forklift and yet have no side shift or fork positioning carriage on it...just basic forks.

I have the opposite issue with my big Hyster; side shift and no fork positioning, I am going to use a 4 way joy stick with fore/aft to position the forks and, L/R to side shift. Having to get off the truck and fiddle with valves completely negates the utility of the system. A joystick is probbally not much more than two good ball valves and should fit in the space for the two way valve.

Steve

I have the opposite issue with my big Hyster; side shift and no fork positioning, I am going to use a 4 way joy stick with fore/aft to position the forks and, L/R to side shift. Having to get off the truck and fiddle with valves completely negates the utility of the system.
For my situation, having to get off the truck would not negate the utility, but I can see for most folks it probably would. When I bought the truck I could have connected either side shift or fork positioning and I chose fork positioning as more important for me.

RE the joystick, I'm thinking the problem with that is you need two more hoses to ride up and down with the carriage ?

For my situation, having to get off the truck would not negate the utility, but I can see for most folks it probably would. When I bought the truck I could have connected either side shift or fork positioning and I chose fork positioning as more important for me.

RE the joystick, I'm thinking the problem with that is you need two more hoses to ride up and down with the carriage ?

Don,

Why don't you consider two way solenoid valves with a stick mounted button. I actually think I may do this myself.

Steve

Don,

Why don't you consider two way solenoid valves with a stick mounted button. I actually think I may do this myself.

Another low cost option we used to do in our shop was to mount a trailer light type reel on the truck cowl after removing the latch mechanism and install a 2 way solenoid on the attachment and a push button type knob or handle on the valve to do the job.The reel would unwind and wind up the cord that was attached to the back of the fork carriage.

I had a Boom Truck that had a manual valve. In one position it operated the R/L outriggers, in the other trolley in/out, cable up/down. I only needed to shift the lever when I arrived and left job site.
Don't know what the valve was but it would be easy for your application.

I tracked down the valve I need. A 4 way, 3 position, 12 volt, 35k psi, 10 gpm, tandom center valve. I also need the subplate to go with it. Pretty simple stuff after a tech at valve company gave me the rundown for my application. I just need to find a joystick handle with a rocker switch or dual buttons that will replace the knob on the loaders joystick.

Back