What's new
What's new

What manufacturing operations that does not have vibrations during machining process

Arslan

Plastic
Hi i am doing some research in machining processes that have dynamic loading and static loading so far i have found alot of information on dynamic loading that produces vibrations in workpiece but i have not been able to find machining applications that have static loading and doesn't produce vibrations in workpiece during machining.

By it's nature, machining is a dynamic operation (albeit one that can also have a static component), it is just a matter of amplitude and frequency. Even EDM has atoms 'cooking off' from the material, which is a dynamic process.

Pure static does not achieve anything (ok, that is probably an open challenge to be proven wrong), it just puts a material under stress. You cannot modify that materials shape, until some action happens. Even a slow press is dynamic.

Static electricity is produces when turning conductive material on a lathe. It can be measured but I forgot he numbers. It can cause additional cratering to the cutting tool. An opposing equal current can be generated to stop the effect. Most likely any machining operation as well..Don't know if additional vibrations occur.
Possible/likely this may happen with grinding but I have never seen any evidence of that,

You need to define what you mean by 'machining'. If you mean any type of chip making process such as turning, milling, grinding etc then I would say that the distinction you are trying to make between static loading and dynamic loading is not useful. Even processes that are not chip forming but might be considered 'machining' involve static and dynamic loading and vibration if you look closely enough.

Perhaps you are looking at machining processes where the very high rate of deformation (high dynamic loading)is critical such as HERF, if so tell us and someone may be able to help.

If you are interested in a specific type of phenomenon such as chatter associated with chip making processes, then you should tell us and you will get more useful answers.

I think we need to understand more of the question. Static and Dynamic aren't exactly opposite, but they are dissimilar for sure. Like asking about Ocean Waves versus Standing Water.

R

How about plating metal onto a existing piece or welding, soldering or, brazing. Metal spray to build up a worn shaft.
Laser cutting.
Bill D.

I'm not aware of any metal forming or removal process that doesn't introduce "vibrations" -- if only at an atomic level.

It's all a matter of degree (and maybe degrees).

in machining im referring to static loading like in Electrochemical machining where there are insignificant vibrations

Back