What's new
What's new

Parts for a 1970 Clausing Colchster

Latheskip

Plastic
Guys, I am in trouble.

I am looking for a part of a 1970 Clausing Colchester 15 x 30 8000 series.

I am looking for the brass gear which engages and drives the carriage feed
worm gear, part #56990-0 ( 27T)

HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Latheskip

Last edited:
Thanks for your input guys so far.
Had a problem to resize the pdf file I made from a scanner. Tried everything including converting to jpg and png.
I made it as small as 19 KB, but the system did not let me upload it.
Now we have to work without a pic. But here is what I have:

It is on the Apron Control page in the manual on page 17.
It is the last gear (brass) on the pinion shaft.
Part No is: 56990 0 (27T)

Cheers
Latheskip

Clausing Industrial
Just call
And before you complain about price, they are cheap compared to other manufacturers.
JR

JR you are right about that, also if they do not have the part available they will send a copy of the print for the part just had my son make a new reversing lever for my 4800 with a cnc machine using the print batw

Thanks for all your help guys.

I realized that the part business for older machines is a total rip-off.:rolleyes5:
I expected this from companies but not form like minded machinists.
I always was under the impression, that a forum links like minded people together and that there is some kind of camaraderie.

But hey, that's obviously the world we are living in now . . .
And I have to admit that most of the tips and links I got here have been very helpful and got got the ball rolling.

Here is what we did to solve the problem with the worn out brass gear.
We removed the carriage gear box, took the brass gear out (almost no teeth anymore), counted the teeth to make sure the manual was right and did some calculation.
We also measured the worm gear carefully and and determined the depth and angle of the teeth to cut.
We still had some brass in stock which served as the raw material. The rest was just a lot of work but no rocket science and took us the whole morning.
The 6 keyways to fit the new gear to the shaft produced some head scratching, but we ground a proper tool and with the help of our rotary table and our milling head this was done in another hour or so.

It was a snug fit and with a few blows with a rubber mallet the gear was in place.
Assembling the gear box, sealing the bottom plate, which serves as a oil pan, lifting the gear box in place, doing the final assembly, filling up oil and looking proudly at our work was done in another 3 hours.

The final moment arrived. Power up!!!

Yippie, all runs smooth and perfect.
Took us 1 day, 1.5 guys and saved us about 1000 bucks for a new gear and about 500 bucks for a used one.

Thanks again to all, who tried to help!!!

Cheers
Latheskip

I realized that the part business for older machines is a total rip-off.
I always was under the impression, that a forum links like minded people together and that there is some kind of camaraderie.

Took us 1 day, 1.5 guys and saved us about 1000 bucks for a new gear and about 500 bucks for a used one.
Latheskip

Do you run your business on a non-profit basis? Why do you complain when others want to earn a profit. There's not as much money in the parts business as you may think.
Let's see, you used up about 12 man hours, and the material, but you saved $1K. What's your shop rate?

If you were a museum or other non-profit and truly had a need, you'd have guys from this site lining up to help. Please don't complain because nothing was given to you.
JR

I know the price of machine parts from the OEM's seems high.

But many forget that what you are paying for, in part, is frequently 40+ yrs of being a custodian of that part.

When you factor those costs in, the $1200 for a 60 year old new old stock "noodlie nothing" from Scott at Monarch Machine for a 70 year old 10ee is not, out of line.

Cyclotronguy

Latheskip

Kindly explain those two sentences.
As far as I can see, all ''we'' did was give you a few pointers and warn you they would be expensive.

So you think we should just give away parts that we have to someone who we've never heard from.
In my case I have the same lathe as you do. To keep it going I have purchased 2 other lathes and they were not cheap by the way.
I want to keep mine going too you see. I thought I might have had 2 spares of the part you needed. If so I would have sold you one
of them for $100.00. As it turns out I would have had to split up a complete apron to get you the part. That leaves me with no spare
on a part that does wear out. Then I would be in the same boat as yourself. So I should be penilized for someone like yourself who has hardly
contributed to this forum. Sounds like you want favors without any contributions. I never even quoted you a price and even gave you 2 places to
look for that part. See what these guys will do to help you next time you need help. All you have to do is buy 2 spare lathes and you won't need them.

As far as I can see, all ''we'' did was give you a few pointers and warn you they would be expensive.

I was wondering about that too,Sami. I saw his post on the same subject in another forum and got the impression (maybe wrongly) that he was expecting someone to pop up and say "I'll stick one in the post"

I was wondering about that too,Sami. I saw his post on the same subject in another forum and got the impression (maybe wrongly) that he was expecting someone to pop up and say "I'll stick one in the post"

Do you think, we've maybe become a little cynical Mark? ......... just a thought.

Someone with 8 posts, who only joined so he could try to get something for nothing, is the way I read it. Then spent 12 hours making something he could have bought. So at say $50/hour that's a $600 part, minimum. Still cheap compared to buying one but what else is new when it comes to Colchester spares? I made a new rack and mating pinion or my Chipmaster after pricing them and laughing (because it seemed better than screaming down the phone line).

IME there's plenty of camaraderie and a great deal of help available here but there's also the reasonable expectation that if you can help yourself, you do help yourself. Data & advice is one thing, expecting someone to spend 12 hours of machine time for free to help you out is another entirely.

PDW

Back