What's new
What's new

what is the name of this dial indicator attachment?

elninio

Cast Iron
It looks like a fulcrum, attaches on a dial indicator, allow it to act as a test indicator, allowing the machinist to indicate on small bores.

You mean something like Starretts 670 A & B Indicator Hole Attachments and 671 Universal Attachment. That said I always knew the 671 style beast as a Right Angle Attachment as that was the name given when I was first shown one.

Clive

You mean something like Starretts 670 A & B Indicator Hole Attachments and 671 Universal Attachment. That said I always knew the 671 style beast as a Right Angle Attachment as that was the name given when I was first shown one.

Clive

That's the one, thanks. I don't have money for a starret, are there any cheapo brands like Shars that sell it? I see some people call them 'hole attachment' on ebay.
671.jpg

If you are working to any degree of accuracy an el-cheapo probably isn't the best of ideas. That pivot needs to be good and shake free for reliable results. A touch of wobble with a bit of side to side play could ruin your whole day. I'm told they are not difficult to make, got plans for a whole set of doo-dads somewhere which include one like that. Actually, on reflection, I'm usure as to whether the one first shown to me was bought, shop made or an apprentice piece.

Clive

Can you show me some pictures? I don't know if i can make an accurate one, don't have reamers that small. I suppose you're right; I'm working in microns so any wobble would be critical. I just can't imagine how the chinese can fuck this up (I guess my imagination is not that powerful ..) .

Can you show me some pictures? I don't know if i can make an accurate one, don't have reamers that small. I suppose you're right; I'm working in microns so any wobble would be critical. I just can't imagine how the chinese can fuck this up (I guess my imagination is not that powerful ..) .
Haha, that's a funny one!

Mike

Never "cheap-out" on something that ultimately determines the accuracy of your work. That is, if it matters to you or your customers.

Mike

while they can make-do in a pinch , a stem indicator w/ this gadget has to have tremendous force compared to a test-lever indicator . i have a federal apparatus , with
needle bearings and a pear-shaped (anti-cosine?) tip . it sucks . no matter which indicator i clamp it to ( mitutoyo 1" , helios 20mm , china no - name)

it's difficult to use . it does come in handy when setting up on a deep bore - when the bestest or last word 711 won't reach , but the heavy force
needed to drive the thing has to distort any expected accuracy.

i'd suggest buying a proper cheapo test indicator over a cheapo widget .

good luck.

while they can make-do in a pinch , a stem indicator w/ this gadget has to have tremendous force compared to a test-lever indicator . i have a federal apparatus , with
needle bearings and a pear-shaped (anti-cosine?) tip . it sucks . no matter which indicator i clamp it to ( mitutoyo 1" , helios 20mm , china no - name)

it's difficult to use . it does come in handy when setting up on a deep bore - when the bestest or last word 711 won't reach , but the heavy force
needed to drive the thing has to distort any expected accuracy.

i'd suggest buying a proper cheapo test indicator over a cheapo widget .

good luck.

All my test indicators are in tenths-thou-inch, while my dial indicators are in micron or better. I just want to indicate on 1xD max, for small holes

That attachment when it was first invented came out of a shop probaby not as well equipped as yours is now. It's easy to make if you have a good image to RE. If accuracy is important to you. be sure the leverage is precisely 1:1.

Also this attachment adds stiction and elasticity to the set-up. Using it may result in perplexing inconsistant readings. Be sure to dither (gently tap. vibrate, or agitate) the system to setttle it to least energy state before you take a reading - and be sure to use "repeat zero" tecnique.

All my test indicators are in tenths-thou-inch, while my dial indicators are in micron or better. I just want to indicate on 1xD max, for small holes

Zero is zero, regardless of the units being read.

A tenth is 2.5 microns. You can easily read between the lines to get better than that. Assuming things are smooth, rigid, etc.

You'll do far better with a decent tenth test indicator than a contraption like this, regardless of how good an indicator you stick in it.

That's the one, thanks. I don't have money for a starret, are there any cheapo brands like Shars that sell it? I see some people call them 'hole attachment' on ebay.
View attachment 105050

You can find good used ones on eBay for a fraction of the price of a new Starrett. I try to stay away from "el cheapo" imitations for any measuring instruments: my imagination on how you can screw one up has been found wanting on too many previous occasions.

However, the comments from others regarding required force, stiction, and elasticity are right on and I am very reluctant to use even my Starrett version for <0.001" work.

Tom

I've been meaning to make one for awhile, didn't know they were commercially made. Hey, why not? :)

Here, try these, this is the Starrett part, but I'd warn you it's paired with a 0.001" back plunger dial indicator, and that's about how good it is... maybe. I have it, but I have not used it.... I think I paid 5 bucks for the box, attachments, and indicator. It probably works OK at a $5 level. Better than a Last Word.... but the Last word, IF it worked, would handle most all the stuff this would do. There are DTIs with long levers that are way better.

It happily works in microns..... if you like large numbers.

whats a smart way to make the pivot for this contraption? two needles (one threaded) just pushing into dimples on the shaft?

It probably works OK at a $5 level.

Given sufficient care with setting up and bore surface finish they can do very well indeed. I've had a tenths thou indicator on mine with very satisfactory results, down in the needle flicker rather than needle movement range. Setting an 8" four jaw to that accuracy was a bear tho', glad it was a light pattern one.

Very much a dig me out of the kitty litter rather than regular use device.

Clive

Back