What's new
What's new

What oil for flood coolant?

Twraska

Plastic
I'm tired of my water based coolant's lack of rust preventing property I'm considering going back to oil. My question is what oil? Or, even better,,, is there a water based flood coolant that will prevent rust on occasionally used equipment.

I've tried different brands, all of which were promoted as having rust preventative properties. I've run the concentrations from low to over 10% all to no avail.

My biggest problems are the drill press, cold cut saw and band saw.

Thanks,
Tim

Chainsarr oil.....:crazy:

Your from Texas, get a barrel of crude....

Seriously, search the archives, there are many good oils out there,
specifically to address your needs.

Chainsaw oil for flood coolant????

I've tried searching archives, must not be using the right key words 'cause I'm coming up with all sorts of interesting posts, just none discussing oil for coolants.

I've tried searching archives, must not be using the right key words 'cause I'm coming up with all sorts of interesting posts, just none discussing oil for coolants.

Yes, there has been some post's by "harry Homeshop" types, wanting to brew up their
own concoctions.

There are other threads where things got a bit heated over the oil-vs-coolant
debate.

Keep searching, I recall a couple recommending Sunoco products.

Here is one....:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...lant-vmc-248760/?highlight=oil+versus+coolant

Hey Tim, its Matt.

The PM search function is not very good to be honest. You might have better luck searching in Google with a PM restriction.

Try: cutting oil:practicalmachinist.com. that should restrict your results to practical machinist, if im remembering the short cut right.

I remembered the brand we use at work as well. We use the concentrated Kool Mist stuff. Dosent seem to cause much rusting, we mix it pretty strong though.

Kool Mist 1 Gallon Bottle Cutting Fluid Water Soluble | eBay

we used to use Mobile Gamma for straight oil, if that's what your looking for.

Years ago we switched to Trim 585XT for water based coolant. There isn't a molecule of rust anywhere in the shop.

I know I have posted what we use here a number of times and google search is what I use also to find old threads as was mentioned. Not saying it is the best but we use Mobilmet 427. It is a lighter nonstaining oil. For heavier duty machining I think Mobil still makes oils with sulfur additive. These oils have classes of similar types, some are available in 5 gallon pails.
That said the one place we did use a soluble oil was the cut off band saw. One blade manufacturer recommended using their blades dry and that was that. On production with the right drill press I could see using straight cutting oil. Never owned a cold saw so I could not say if that is a good fit or not.

I use Mobilmet in my milling machines, never in any sawing operations. I have a DoAll C70, 1612 and, smaller import horizontal, they have Hocut soluble in them. I also use the Hocut in my surface grinder. In over 5 years I have had zero rust issues on machines or parts. I don't have a cold saw but in a past life I sold cold saw blades, I don't recall anyone that used mineral oil cutting fluid on them.

Steve

Not raining on your parade, just want to get this straight. So you can use this Trim 585XT on a machine, let it soak into the cracks and crevices like under a milling vise, and let that machine set idle for two or three months AND come back to it and find no rust? The OP did say "occasionally used" equipment.

we used to use Mobile Gamma for straight oil, if that's what your looking for.

Years ago we switched to Trim 585XT for water based coolant. There isn't a molecule of rust anywhere in the shop.

Not raining on your parade, just want to get this straight. So you can use this Trim 585XT on a machine, let it soak into the cracks and crevices like under a milling vise, and let that machine set idle for two or three months AND come back to it and find no rust? The OP did say "occasionally used" equipment.

Yes, that's correct. Pull a rotary table off after a year, no rust, at all.

If you watch video on the old Brown and Sharp screw machines, they ran in an oil bath and they lasted 75+ years

Probably analogous to old manual machines.

How about searching for

oil for screw machines, swiss screw machines

I would never change from quality (read: Blaser) water based coolant and go to oil unless I absolutely had to. I can't imagine what I would be cutting but I would avoid oil at all costs. JMHO

Ross. AlfaGTA. The oil he uses can easily stay clean and clear for DECADES!
Not sure where I put the ID, but a search of his Deckel work will find our chat about it, in-thread.

Another is a Houghton Ho-cut for water-based that another Pilgrim reported being similarly low-maintenance no-stinkum for multiple years as well. That one, I bought already. It ain't among those popular ones "fronted" on Houghton's web page. Have to have the code number 795-MP-RHS, and dig Keller-Heartt for it.

These are compromises. There is ALWAYS a better juice for some alloy, some tooling, some other machine-tool and machinist's needs.

They are, however long-life, low-maintenance, all-around winners.

One. Each type. YMMV, but I.. am set for life.

My skin reacted to Ho-Cut®, that doesn't mean I have an opinion about it other than that. Blaser Swisslube, if you never want to worry about it again, but ±$1300 for 55 gallons.

R

Habcool 318, diluted to a viscosity that pumps conveniently. They say its "non-volatile" so evaporation is generally limited to the diluting oil, don't know about that yet but its good stuff. Out of the pail its about like gear oil, dilute with plain mineral oil/spindle oil. I run it in a ~15 gallon common sump for all 4 machines, with a 15 min/week recirculation thru a filter. Its great for lower rpm ops (tapping/reaming up thru slitting saws), faster ops ie drilling it tends to fling so managing that can be a pest. Heavy cuts will tend to make it smoke a bit OTOH the flood will keep temps down so you can get busy. Nice that tramp oil just mixes in no fuss no muss- or skimming etc.

Back