What's new
What's new

What oil replaces type A transmission oil?

Shaybuilder

Cast Iron
I have a Feeler lathe and it calls for type A ATF in the carriage gear box & clutches. What is the equivalent oil for Type A or what should I be using. Can't find type A anywhere. I tried the search but couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks, Ken

Shaybuilder --

Type A automatic transmission fluid was "the usual" ATF in the 1950s and early 1960s. By the late 1960s, it was superseded in the marketplace by ATFs meeting General Motors' Dexron specification, which could be safely substituted for Type A and Type A Suffix A in earlier vehicles.

I understand that GM's latest Dexron, Dexron VI, is supposed to be a backward-compatible replacement for all previous generations of Dexron, so it's probably what you want for your lathe.

John

I have a Feeler lathe and it calls for type A ATF in the carriage gear box & clutches. What is the equivalent oil for Type A or what should I be using. Can't find type A anywhere. I tried the search but couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks, Ken

One wonders if it is a "standard" of the Chinese Gummint via China Petrochemical Corporation (Chinese: 中国石油化工集团公司) or Sinopec Group?

The Chinese do tend to try to minimize variety and flavour vs Dexron, Mercon, BMW-ATF1, Pentosyn, vs ZF Lifeguard, Castrol-whatever, etc. for what is essentially the same damned ZF box, "managed" differently by the 'puters.

Shell is one among the "usual suspects" of global petro firms that publish pretty good cross-refs.
At the US auto parts outlets, the earliest and simplest juice with fewest of the modern exotic modifiers may be the best match. Perhaps even El Cheapo power steering fluid?

"Early" differences, IIRC, were mostly about compatibility with seals. Latest of juices includes "traction fluid" for certain CVT's.

I'd have thought a lathe would get by with a straight-graded non-detergent "turbine" oil, or hydraulic oil - much as the Hardinge clan and others seem to do - Mobile DTE family, Shell Tellus, or the like.

On-edit - John was typing. And of an era when many of our clan still drove stick-shifts, didn't have to know, so..

Type f may work.

F for "ford", not sure what the differences were but you are not dealing with motor car duty either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Warner swaseys call for the above mentioned "f" ATF

But they are much the same as a car, the multiple disc clutches
are very much alike.

Back to the OP, let's see if Shade Tree Welder is around...:skep:

The rumor has always been the Dexron fluid is weak and gives soft shifts so the car does not lurch. Problem is it allow the clutches to slip and wear faster. Ford fluid gives a more solid shift but the clutches last longer with less slippage.
Bill D

The weak fluid theory is not the greatest...it's far morel likely that the fluid and clutch materials are 'formulated' to work with each other and using the wrong fluid with the wrong clutch material will shorten life. I can assure you Ford clutches don't last any longer than GM or Chrysler.

Shaybuilder --

Type A automatic transmission fluid was "the usual" ATF in the 1950s and early 1960s. By the late 1960s, it was superseded in the marketplace by ATFs meeting General Motors' Dexron specification, which could be safely substituted for Type A and Type A Suffix A in earlier vehicles.

I understand that GM's latest Dexron, Dexron VI, is supposed to be a backward-compatible replacement for all previous generations of Dexron, so it's probably what you want for your lathe.

John
John, has it correct, use the current Dexron/Mercon versions except for the Mercon LV which is a low viscosity fluid.

Warner swaseys call for the above mentioned "f" ATF

But they are much the same as a car, the multiple disc clutches
are very much alike.

Back to the OP, let's see if Shade Tree Welder is around...:skep:
Don't use Type F it is not compatible with Type A or Dexron/Mercon

The weak fluid theory is not the greatest...it's far morel likely that the fluid and clutch materials are 'formulated' to work with each other and using the wrong fluid with the wrong clutch material will shorten life. I can assure you Ford clutches don't last any longer than GM or Chrysler.
Thank you, nice to see common sense.

Techtips - Selecting the Proper Automatic Transmisison Fluid

Ford mercon 5 is synthetic. Not sure if it is 100% synthetic or not. It was adopted around 2000 by Ford. My 2000 ranger uses the #5 but there are warnings that the dipstick markings can be wrong and you need to check the transmission build number and confirm fluid type.
My wife's 2001 Ford Escape uses the older type #4.
Bill D

Better yet are the guys who use 'old school' GL5 gear lube in a modern manual gearbox such as the T-56 6 speed to 'save money' over the factory lube. The problem is...the synchro's use a fiber facing that disintegrates, fast, in the GL5....

Back