What's new
What's new

At what point is it appropriate to bring up a shift switch to an employer?

georgee1

Aluminum
I want very much to work 1st shift. However I'm completely accepting on understanding that seniority and being a good worker play a huge role. At this job I started at 3rd, and then they fired our 2nd shift and switched us (a coworker and i) to their shift. I wasn't expecting to be switched to first, in the 1st year or 2nd for that matter.(I'm currently a year and a month in) But I cant help but feel entitled(I'll get hate for this) to an open slot on first shift (same operator position) when it's open over a fresh hire. I try to absorb what I can during shift overlap, but it can be very minimal material. I've learned a lot just in that small window. But i know i'm missing out on a lot of learning that I'd get from watching setup guys on first shift.

I'm sure the arguments there "how do you know you are more qualified then an applicant you haven't met?" Mainly just from previous hires, having no experience in cnc operations. This is the 2nd time they've hired a new operator, that quit on them.

At the end of the day I'll get over it. I just can't help but feel like my employer isn't out for my general interest. Any insight would be appreciated. I'm not trying to start a rumble at work. I wouldn't ever try to give my employer an ultimatum. I'd just like to know another's perspective or experience on this.

It sounds to me that you're way to worried about what your co-workers think of you. Work hard, carry your weight, mind your own business and your co-workers will respect you. As for changing shifts I would tell the boss today that I'm available for the earliest possible opening.

When I was working manufacturing we offered a pretty large shift differential to get people to work third shift, something like 25 or 30%. Still people always wanted to get on first shift. But we hired you for third, and you accepted the job on third, and we need experience on third, why did you accept a job you didn't want? etc etc. Always was a pain. Then they start making up excuses why they can't work third, I have to take my kid to school, my wife's job changed, whatever. I suppose you have to ask, but don't be surprised if your employer doesn't take your request too kindly.

I think you are asking question that is totally reasonable and important. Don't second guess yourself around these jerks :D

I would simply make a statement to whomever, not a request, just a statement; "I am available for 1st shift if you need me there". Simple, non threatening and showing your willingness to help wherever you are needed.

FWIW; 1st shift is a better learning experience for sure! If that is where you want to be headed, I'm sure with your attitude it will happen eventually, I have no idea how long obviously.

BUT you should know some management dynamics of second shift; 1. If there is a reason for a 2nd shift that is great, and being the one that is successful on that shift is a huge benefit to the company and they know it. So if you find resistance to the change it's probably because you are doing very well there. (2nd shift is always a bitch because you don't have the resources day time does, and that is when 1st shift expects the errors, not really an insult to you, just is what it is)2. If you are getting through that shift without problems, doing your own problem solving, filling coolant tanks, nice and helpful, doing what you can, all that, you really-actually are the guy making the company the most money!!---Also because it isn't day time and you don't have all the bull shit, vendors, phone calls, management, so you can focus on making parts. If they are not morons they know your value. Give it time, 1 year in this business aint shit buddy.

Robert

I think you are asking question that is totally reasonable and important. Don't second guess yourself around these jerks :D

I would simply make a statement to whomever, not a request, just a statement; "I am available for 1st shift if you need me there". Simple, non threatening and showing your willingness to help wherever you are needed.

FWIW; 1st shift is a better learning experience for sure! If that is where you want to be headed, I'm sure with your attitude it will happen eventually, I have no idea how long obviously.

BUT you should know some management dynamics of second shift; 1. If there is a reason for a 2nd shift that is great, and being the one that is successful on that shift is a huge benefit to the company and they know it. So if you find resistance to the change it's probably because you are doing very well there. (2nd shift is always a bitch because you don't have the resources day time does, and that is when 1st shift expects the errors, not really an insult to you, just is what it is)2. If you are getting through that shift without problems, doing your own problem solving, filling coolant tanks, nice and helpful, doing what you can, all that, you really-actually are the guy making the company the most money!!---Also because it isn't day time and you don't have all the bull shit, vendors, phone calls, management, so you can focus on making parts. If they are not morons they know your value. Give it time, 1 year in this business aint shit buddy.

Robert

Thanks, Robert. Sometimes I question if I'm cheating myself, because the job is too darn easy. Our machines run very well, most of our issues are coolant alignment causing too much chips. Or manually having to change the bar in the barfeeder, because we are understocked on the right collets. I feel idle, just waiting for the opportunity for someone to say "okay, come with me i'm gonna show you how to do this" and then feel starved of information for a couple months. I've achieved all that I can as an operator, every single tool change. I can swap out all the collets on the main spindle h.s., I can swap out the barfeeder collets, i can swap the sub collet and add eject pins. I've set the clamp position on the main spindle and sub. The only thing I haven't covered is changing the bushing.
Our worst job runs made me the operator I am today. We had a job that broke 3-4 taps in a 12 hour period. With very conservative speeds and feeds. I've gained so much operator experience from those jobs. I'm back at school now, for a new challenge. I'm hoping time will coordinate things better. God bless

It's a tight job market. Update your resume and apply for the first shift position if you want it and are qualified.

Just make sure your top of the list for the next vacancy on the first shift.Have a word with boss say I know theres no chance of getting on the first shift at the moment but if a place becomes available I would would be gratefull if you remembered me asking you.So at least when one comes up or you hear someones leaving you can get in and say what the prospects of me getting on that shift,Explain to him one of the reasons that I want to get on is to progress my skills.Im looking at the next level up and am keen to learn off the first shift guys.Thats not a negative reason its a positive reason.If he ignores your request might be time to start looking for another job

In addition to the advice above (making your advancement desires clear) you need to take steps to make sure your shoes are filled on second shift. Document the kind of stuff you run into, and your solutions. Offer to help transition someone else into that shift position when/if your shot at first shift comes up.

Right now you seem to be fulfilling their need to 'not worry too much about what goes on during 2nd shift', which doubtless lets mgt. sleep well at night. You need to do all you can to make sure that comfort level continues if you move to first... so they don't miss you too much. But they should also see the value in addressing your desire to learn more from the first shift guys, because it clearly is a different environment. Just make sure you're ready.

How does your school schedule dovetail with first shift?

Chip

Button pushers are a dime a dozen, make yourself valuable. Learn the machines, learn maintenance, learn how to resolve common issues. Don't wait for it to happen, make it happen.

Lots of really sound advice above.

Don't worry too much about how "appropriate" it is to bring up the shift switch. If you're respectful and frank, and if you don't come on like a salesman, you should be fine. Maybe you won't work any miracles, but you are likely to be taken seriously.

-Marty-

the best way to do this i found is tell them what you want/need. be confidant and firm about it. dont hem and haw, dont back down.
wait for their response and then thank them for it(whichever response it may be)
If they tell you they will keep it in mind then say thank you and wait for them to hold their word and when an opening appears bring it up again

if they go the other way and respond with" u got hired for 2nd so thats where we need you" say thank you and start looking for a new opportunity being careful not to burn the bridge your currently on

If you are a good valuable employee most companies will work with you to keep you cuz we all know good help is very hard to find.

either way what ever the answer u get is, just be respectful and plan your next step.

If you want to stay with the company and are willing to stay on 2nd untill an opening appears then ask management to give you a bigger role in the shop. ask to learn. 9 out of 10 guys just want to do minimum work and collect a check

if you show you are willing to learn thats a big plus

show up 15 min early to learn what u can
dont be the first guy at the time clock to punch out

little things like that have gotten me a long way in advancing in whatever company i worked for

Thanks again, love the input. My school schedule and potential first shift schedule won't go together. Which is why I decided to wait til after my classes to ask for a review and take it from there. Maybe ask for what the future might entail for me. My goal is to be at this place for a minimal 2 years. I promised my employer not on paper but it was a goal I wanted to reach at the time of the interview.

Damnit! I keep trying to edit my post and it deletes every time on mobile. This thread wasn't urgent, I already accepted the decisions it's for future reference. I'm going to school to build a stronger foundation. It's still early and i can technically withdraw from the class for a full refund, but that's not what I was considering. I gotta keep moving forward, and so long as I do what I'm supposed to and the time comes I'll be ready to talk with the boss or ready to find a new opportunity

Back