What's new
What's new

What size motor should be on Meuser lathe

rds5150

Plastic
Any idea what hp motor this machine came with, or what it should have, fairly sure a 2hp Century is not stock.

Fabrikationsnummer/Serial# 20882

Baujahr/Date 1957

Oal 78"
Ht 47"
Bed 45"
Swing 15"
Bore 1.750"
Tail Stock base 8"

Maybe a model#, any help would be greatly appreciated.

08.jpg29.jpg01.jpg02.jpg14.jpg

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

I have a 17" machine(not a Meuser) and its factory power was a 7 1/2hp motor. I'll wager your lathe came stock with the equivalent of a NEMA 5hp motor. A 2hp is too small for that machine unless you're only going to turn balsa wood or toothpicks...but maybe not.

Stuart

Any help?

This 12 all-geared speeds (or 24 with the optional 2-speed motor) were available with a choice of 28 to 1250, 40 to 1800 r.p.m. forwards and (strangely) a faster set of 70 to 1550 or 100 to 2200 r.p.m. in reverse for the M-00-L, M-0-L and M-1-L models (using 5, 5.5 and 7.5 h.p. motors respectively); 25 to 1120 r.p.m. or 36 to 1600 r.p.m. forwards and 63 to 1400 r.p.m. or 90 to 2000 r.p.m. in reverse for the M-11-L (10 h.p. motor); 22 to 1100 r.p.m. or 32 to 1400 r.p.m. forwards and 56 to 1250 r.p.m. or 80 to 1800 rpm in reverse for the M-111-L (12.5 h.p. motor) and 20 to 900 r.p.m. or 28 to 1250 r.p.m. in forwards and 50 to 1120 r.p.m. or 71 to 1600 r.p.m. in reverse on the M-1V-L (20 h.p. motor). A double-disc clutch was fitted within the headstock for instant selection of forward or reverse to the spindle and an automatic brake included that operated immediately the drive was disconnected.

Was taken from here http://www.lathes.co.uk/meuser/

That is the site that messed me all up

That is the site that messed me all up, I was thinking a MOL.
05.jpg

Looks like 8-950rpm

23.jpg

Tail stock does not look original, can't go off that.

15.jpg28.jpg

Sounds like I need 5hp motor and double belt pulley, where might one hunt down a pulley like that.

Thanks

Rob

Do you have the gap insert? You need to get it off those little dollies asap and be very careful moving it. Lathes are very top heavy and it will do a face plant so fast you will not believe it. When it starts to go over just get out of the way, you can't stop it once it starts to go over so you may as well not get crushed when it hits the deck.

No gap, was not on dollies more than 20 min, could not make the turn with the forklift.

Sounds like I need 5hp motor and double belt pulley, where might one hunt down a pulley like that.
"A" section Vee-belt, almost certainly. The lower one looks to be a tension-adjuster style, so check the upper sheave. The "A" type spec is tight enough they need not be hand matched - just order two in the proper length.

Which "proper length" you will need to measure after you get the new motor and sheave, 'coz you will need to either fab a swing-plate for the motor, or add a dual-belt tensioner.

Have a look at Monarch 10EE. Very similar belt span, also twinned "A" section belts. ONE tensioner is enough.

Dual or "two groove" pulley is easy. Typically $10 to $40 on eBay. Browning, Morse, (now part of Gates?) the legacy suppliers, Maska the more recent one. Cast Iron or steel, of course, not Congress or Chicago Die Casting ZAMAK ones.

I like QD hubs. There are two other taper type hub attachments. All work. Use wotever the pulley you pick was made for. MMC has new ones. Ebay has NOS. Or they DID have until I bought-up a largish stash of the QD's.

:)

5 HP should be plenty. With the "many" speed ratios, I'd try the 2 HP you already have FIRST, as a "heavy" this particular lathe is not.

Back