What's new
What's new

What software is available for designing 3d for cnc

MetalArtistCandy

Aluminum
Looking into learning how to create 3d images and then transfeering that to a cnc machine.

What software is available?
Also what is needed after I have a 3d model to put that into a cnc machine to get the correct output part? Im thinking that it is not as easy as taking a deaign and the cnc machine or software will know exactly what to do.

Looking into learning how to create 3d images and then transfeering that to a cnc machine.

What software is available?
Also what is needed after I have a 3d model to put that into a cnc machine to get the correct output part? Im thinking that it is not as easy as taking a deaign and the cnc machine or software will know exactly what to do.

you need more than 3D cad model.
CAM software requires input. it does not know what tooling you got, your machine maximum hp, your ability to hold part.
for example using 2" dia roughing end mill plowing through part 1.7" deep and cutting 2" width..... that requires hp a lot of horsepower and if you cannot hold part it will move and part and tooling can get damaged as well as your machine.
you work with CAM software some will pick tooling and auto set tool paths but only after you set up preferences or default actions

Look at Fusion 360 to start with. It is free, pretty damn good, and is CAD and CAM. What goes between the CAM and the cnc is called a post processor. It takes the CAM information and translates it into the language the cnc control uses. There is now lots of info on using Fusion 360 and enough of it is free that I don't think there is any reason to pay for anything. Be aware that there is a lot to learn, I have been doing it for over 25 years and still don't know very much.

The basic software products and steps involved are:

1. CAD Software- Computer-aided design, this is what you use to design the 2D or 3D shape of what you want to make. Produces a file containing the model of your part.
  2. CAM Software- Computer-aided manufacturing, this is what you use to take the model from CAD and add instructions for your CNC machine to follow. Requires knowing the capabilities of your CNC machine, CNC control, and tooling to be used effectively.
  3. Postprocessing- This is a plugin or helper script for the CAM program that takes the instructions you made in CAM and turns it into a text file containing machine code that your CNC can understand. You need a post processor specific to both your CAM system and the CNC machine control you are using (most CAM systems include postprocessors for common control types). Some manual editing of the outputted code or modification of the postprocessor may be required for best results.
  4. File Transfer- This is the method by which the code output (text file) from the postprocessor gets to the CNC control so it can be run. The specific technical details depend on your CNC control. RS232, LAN (ethernet) and USB are common methods.
  5. CNC control- The onboard computer of your CNC machine that translates the code into the movements that will cut your parts. Many types and manufacturers that take different code and have different interfaces.

That's the basics, but the details are very important in any real-life use. There are many CAD and CAM software packages available, at widely varying costs ($0 to $30k+) and capabilities. Fusion360 is a common beginner recommendation since it's free for hobby use and has both CAD and CAM capabilities. It is limited for certain things compared to pricier options, and it uses cloud storage which can be problematic.

There is a CAD/CAM subforum on Practical Machinist, you will get good advice from asking specific, detailed questions there and searching past posts.

What I do is just put my CAD files on a thumb drive, walk up to the machine, and wave the thumb drive at the control. It's very important that you use a slow clockwise circular motion when doing this.

After that, I hit cycle start and wait a few minutes. BOOM: part's done.

Carbonbl gave a great overview. The question was asked in an open and honest way, so I don't see the need for sarcasm. Most people have no clue how many steps and time it takes to go from concept to physical item; they've never needed to.

More people should be openly educated about how the "first off" comes into being, and how that differs from mass production.

Back