What's new
What's new

what solvent to glue acrylic

rimcanyon

Diamond
I need some acrylic glue, and could not find it at Home Depot, Ace or Orchard Supply. I recall in college chem lab we used to weld acrylic with a solvent, but I have forgotten which one. I think it was formaldehyde.

-Dave

This is not for fishtanks, so it does not need to be a clear joint, just strong. This is for the linear bearing housings on the Deckel fp2NC front sliding doors.

If you don't need to solvent weld it with methylene chloride (joints must fit near dead nuts) or use one of the commercial acrylic preparations such as IPS Weld-On 3 Cement use the cyanoacrylic adhesive of your choice. Plain old cheap Crazy Glue will fill small gaps and bond well, like crazy. ;) For poorer fit-ups the gel formulations can work.

Probably the nearest Tap Plastics for you is Blossom Hill in San Jose for retail Weld-on.

Super glues (cyanoacrylates) will cloud the plastic nearby and can completely obscure a small confined area with fumes. Methylene Chloride is the right thing to use, but it's some nasty stuff.

Xylol, Toluol, Acetone... You can buy any of them at a local Home Depot, Ace or Lowes.

I dissolved acrylic shavings in one of the solvents and used the mix as a glue.

Why not use the stuff the plastics experts specifically reccommend for bonding acrylic to acrylic. The stuff in the viceo I posted is "Tap Acrylic Cement"

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=130 4 oz for $6

but I Googled almost a dozen similar formulations for solvent welding acrylic. It's not particularly expensive and it makes perfect, invisible, high strength solvent-welded bonds in acrylic if used as directed.

Instead perfectly sensible people are chiming in with substitutes that may or may not work - and a few that may do more harm than good?

So why? No challenge?

I have used Methylene Chloride extensively in the past. As said above it is very Nasty. Use with copious ventilation and wear hand protection. Test your gloves against the stuff before using them because it will attack many compounds.

The Tap instructions for clean finely finished joints is 98% of the job. Even with true finished edges you can have problems with different 'alloys' or compositions of the plastic.

The MSDS for the TAP solvent glue indicates that they add a small amount of an Acrylic monomer. If I had this available in the day I would have used it because of the differences in the polymers.

Solvent welding polycarbonate or acrylic the joint ends up full of bubbles. The solution I've found is to be generous with the solvent and apply pressure while it dries. This will squeeze the bubbles out and you will be left with a clear joint.

Same idea as spin welding where the metal oozes out of the joint and carries impurities out.

I'll bet a chemical analysis of TAP would show it to be mostly methylene chloride (or a slightly less nasty substitute) with a little filler and other components in there. Methylene chloride has been used to weld aircraft windows, display cases and such for decades. It is the only thing I have seen in professional plastic shops that built large display cases for our museum. Parts were sawed to shape with a bandsaw or table saw. They had a wood shaper set up as a jointer with a diamond tip cutter running vertically (like a facemill) under a fence. Once jointed down smooth and straight, the cut edge was polished with a pass from a hydrogen/oxy torch flame. The parts could then be welded together.

Why not use the stuff the plastics experts specifically reccommend for bonding acrylic to acrylic.

"experts" are often out to make a buck by selling something that has a common solution as a proprietary product. I think for acrylics, all you need is an organic solvent that has the right characteristics. From looking at the responses, a polar solvent is the way to go. This is not rocket science.

Thanks for the responses.

-Dave

The commercial acrylic cements such as the Weldon line are indeed mostly methylene chloride, with various additives to fit the application the formulation is meant to serve. In the case of the thicker cements, there is generally some acrylic monomer added, to achieve some level of gap filling, but in most situations where the edges have had a quality edge cut done by a knowledgeable fabricator, a straight solvent bond is the best approach. From my own years of experience in plastics fab, I have found that a 90% methylene chloride/10% acetic acid mix works well, where the acetic acid is a sort of flow agent to allow capillary action to work better. The commercial cements also work very well for general-purpose bonding, and are my second choice if I don't have the raw materials for custom blend. The other solvents, such as toluol, xylol, and acetone, are ones I would only use out of desperation. They are extremely ineffective (= slow), relative to any formulation employing methylene chloride.

A saw-cut done on tablesaw with a 60-80 tooth triple-chip ground carbide blade is my preferred edge treatment, and works very well for almost every acrylic and polycarb joint, including highly cosmetic joints such as museum display case work where the joint is totally exposed. Where I have been in a position of trying to make a fabricated solvent-joined box look like a molded box, I have flycut the edges to be cemented prior to joining. The setup for cementing and timing the solvent work cycle is key to what the joint looks like when complete. The edges to be cemented are NEVER flame-polished though, as this would lead to immediate crazing of the edges and adjacent bulk material. Flame-polishing can be employed on edges that are NOT to be cemented, though, as a fast method for applying a finish over a properly scraped or sanded edge.

The TAP Plastics video is a decent basic explanation of how to do it, but you can always refine the basic techniques to get a better job.

Probably right about the flame polishing. That little jointer they used was cool, though. It was like a two tooth flycutter turned upside down under a table (like a miniature Van Norman rotary cylinder head broach, if you have ever seen one) with a fence to guide the work across the middle of the cutter. VERY high speed spindle, too.

Hate to say the obvious, but just like you wouldn't buy and entire machine shop just to make one bushing, why buy the materials and solvent for just one or two pastic assemblies? Sketch your part(s) and bring it to an acrylics fabricator. Quicker and cheaper in the long run.

"experts" are often out to make a buck by selling something that has a common solution as a proprietary product. I think for acrylics, all you need is an organic solvent that has the right characteristics.

In many case you are quite right. but....

From looking at the responses, a polar solvent is the way to go.

Polar solvent = water, no?

Or do you mean "polar aprotic solvent'?

This is not rocket science.

Perhaps it will stump even the cleverest of rocket scientists of exactly where to acquire the necessary ingredients to come up with their own formulation in quantities that are economical for the amount they need. Most rocket scientists I know would find it is far more economical to do a few mouseclicks in their web browser, wait a few days, and have the exact stuff they need in the quantities they need for the job at hand appear on their doorstep. That is to say, unless they need it by the drum.

Rocket scientists get everything from microchips to metals to rocket fuel via mouseclicks. Even considering that microchips are just sand and a few trace elements arranged in a certain way.

-DU-

Back