What's new
What's new

Is this a tension/compression tap chuck?

leeko

Stainless
Hi everyone,

I have a piece of tooling that I think is a tension compression tap holder, but I haven't been able to find it in a lyndex catalog or via Google. Can anyone please confirm?

The holder has the following stamped on it:

Lyndex FH2-ST1.1/4/ER25 -7.75

I believe that makes it an ER25 holder on a 1-1/4" shank. The intermediate shank of the ER25 has a little twist/play in the main holder, which is why I think it might be a tension/compression holder. But before I buy a set of ER25 collets and break some taps I'd like to verify. I'll be using it in a haas minimill without rigid tapping (yet).

Thanks in advance

Lee
8d1c3b53df4c3ba3df3932f42fef83f2.jpg
10a25e57dd7f26ee7cc21136d5211aed.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had something similar I used on a capstan lathe, it had a friction ring inside, and the ring with the two holes was tightened or loosened to increase/decrease the friction.

What happens when you undo that ring.

If it is what you ask, you should be able to pull it out some, and with a little more effort push it in. If you cant get it to move, I'd tend to think it was not a tension compression device.

If it was some kind of torque limiter, I think you'd have a scale or markings like you see on torque limiting quick change tap holders.

Thanks for the comments

I undid the 2 small set screws and unscrewed the large ring some. I can now pull out the business end by about 1/8" or so. It wants to go straight back to the fully retracted position though, and I can't push it in further than that. There's maybe 10 degrees of total rotational play at the business end too.

Is 1/8" enough for a tapping head?

Thanks again!

...Is 1/8" enough for a tapping head?...

No. Unless you're crawling RPM wise. Plus a little compression capability never hurts either.

I couldn't find that tool in any of my old Lyndex/Nikken catalogs. Also the least tension amount I could find was just over 1/4".

It does now strike me as a potential torque control thingy though.

Could it be a reamer holder? Something with lateral play, but not tension/compression?

And wot the hock is with the gingerbread house 'n stuff in the background? We're barely into Spring!

I think I'll take it apart and see what the heck is going on inside... Can't hurt, other than springs going everywhere...

WTF! The first tool thingy you ever bought and you had it bronzed and show it off on the kitchen island? Get a walnut mounting block fer chrissake.

No, there's no lateral movement - just rotational and axial

Scruffy, no idea what that means sorry

Lee

I think Scruffy was making a crack about your photo's white balance looking very soft. And maybe the fact that your tooling is on the kitchen counter? Not sure... :D

Generally a floating reamer holder won't move in and out I think. Only perpendicular to the rotational axis, and maybe tilt a little on some of them. I just saw a set of instructions the other day for a tension/compression tap driver and it mentioned using about 95% of the thread pitch for feed, so they are expecting the tap to get pulled out, not pushed back in.

I once had something just like that many moons ago that was an ER25 floating reamer holder according to the guy I traded with. Bought it for the collets, took it apart to see what it was and then traded it for a 2" boring head. I can't really remember much about the inside, other than some springs, balls, grooves and whatsits. Pretty neat though.

Back