Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    yes, you are right, that is the "worst case". usually more like 1"...( for a 1" dia). but the gripping force does diminish as you go back away from the face, as the collet fingers are "hinged" at the rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    But Dad, it wasn't me!! I didn't say anything to him.
    Blessed with more collet systems than the average Bear, I actually think it borderline comical to be surprised that even a lowly THREE jaw works better at taming rudeness - whatever the "real" source - than a 5C. Not even a test I could make, given I have zero-tolerance for 3-J's.

If it was the LATHE as a basic "platform" I had to test, AND NOT the known-variable, even known-consumable workholding?

I'd want an expendable, not inspection-standard, test bar seated in the spindle's native taper, firmly retained with a drawbar, and able to be supported with a centre - or NOT, to set a baseline for expectations as to what that lathe could do - or could not do.

Choice of workholding systems, and vetting of THEIR limits, has to follow. Not lead.

Otherwise, one has no sure way of knowing if an underlying "disease" is being chased - or only "local" symptoms piled atop it.

2CW

2. Likes Gordon Heaton, cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had this exact same issue, the weird thing was it would only happen when using the feed screw. When I used the leadscrew the problem disappeared.

I took the apron apart and the bracket that holds the drive for the feed screw was loose, the screws were barely holding the bracket in place. I fixed that and tightened up the gib on the rear of the saddle.........problem fixed

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You had the exact same issue? So your lathe was fine when using a 3 jaw chuck but left funny patterns in the finish while using a collet chuck? Probably should revise that to "a similar issue."

5. Likes Monarchist liked this post