What's new
What's new

What's this steel hex bit-like piece with slotted end and angled cylinder?

Cannonmn

Stainless
img_5694.jpg
Yes rusty and dusty, will dunk in appropriate potions if worth the effort. Meanwhile there are a couple or few variants visible at top. Looks like base is cut so the ends of these will be parallel, and the slot looks like it is cut to be parallel to the ends. Are these specials or some kind of machinist's tooling I may suddenly need 6 years from now?

Last edited:
img_5694.jpg
Yes rusty and dusty, will dunk in appropriate potions if worth the effort. Meanwhile there are a couple or few variants visible at top. Looks like base is cut so the ends of these will be parallel. Are these specials or some kind of machinist's tooling I may suddenly need 6 years from now?

That would be called scrap.

Are you going to be starting a new thread for every one
of those bins you showed on a rack ?

I worked in a school for a while. The kids had a name for those - " Gone Wrongs ".

Regards Tyrone.
Brings up a very good point.

Just because they are nicely sorted into a bin don't mean they were
made correctly in the first place.
Could be someone dug them out of the scrap & chip bin because
they "Looked shiny" and thought they had some value.

Too many of them to be "Gone Wrongs". I still think they are OLD hold downs for a planer. Hammered into holes in the table,the bent tails would help the upper parts to grip work pieces.

Are you going to be starting a new thread for every one
of those bins you showed on a rack ?

99% are common hardware I know, a few more unknowns may show up here. One I hope to get photo'd today is a small organizer drawer chest with dual-diameter pins, one size each drawer, where one half of the pin is always 0.156", and other are various slightly larger diameters. Length varied too, from about one to two inches. In larger bottom drawers are steel blocks about 1x1x4" or larger, with neat rows of small holes about 1/2" apart, which must be for those pins. The pins are either s/s or Plated as they show no oxidation. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Last edited:
They don't look like planer furniture to me; though I can see possibilities for adapting them as such.

The bend would not hold if it was swiveled forward for the "logical" "grip" position. Very iffy set up in that mode. However, swiveled so the top pointed away from the work, it would tend not to swivel, but also not to hold down. So what I could see is drilling and tapping cross-wise for the typical dog screw, at a slight downward angle when set in the table. Maybe cut off part of the hex vertically so that when used with wedges/angle hold downs the screw point could be dlose to center of rotation for improved anti-swivel geometry. Once a screw is introduced, it sort of doesn't matter which way they point, though keeping the screw projection short (close to center of rotation) is "better" so leaning backwards, or cutting some off vertically would be best. At a cheap enough price (scrap) it could be worth the effort. What dia is the round plug end, and how long is it? (It looks like the dia varies and some have steps and some don't.)

smt

PS - I still don't think those were originally intended for a planer, but the slot suggests another option: make hardened bits with a straight sharp edge to fit the pocket, and then they could work well for George's suggestion. The slot in those points the wrong way (up). Also, if someone set up to make such a part for that purpose, the dogleg would offer no improvement over a straight shank and merely complicate the machining slightly.

Although I think I see some rust, you state that the angled cylindrical extensions re not corroded like the hex. Carbide-tipped inserts for some sort of digging device, like a trencher chain?

Easy enough to see if the tips are very hard. If so, you now have some boring-bar tips, or....

Although I think I see some rust, you state that the angled cylindrical extensions re not corroded like the hex. Carbide-tipped inserts for some sort of digging device, like a trencher chain?

Easy enough to see if the tips are very hard. If so, you now have some boring-bar tips, or....

Thanks, am quite sure the whole piece is same material, and a single piece, but can check later.

You probably know already but you can enlarge the photo easily on your 'puter to check details; I used high-density photos stored on my own site.

Last edited:
These look familiar but so do a lot of things. I had a job in many years ago sorting widgets. So far that is the only thing I can relate these objects to.

My second thought was a replaceable tooth for digging/facing/trenching equipment of some sort.
I'm imagining a rotating drum or disk populated with many and beating the subject media into submission.
The slot could be to engage a retainer.
Even if they're not hard, they might be production over-run and not yet heat treated.

Too bad Cannonmn isn't bright or savvy enough to provide dimensions or even a common object for scale reference.

My first thought was "More 'what is it?' from that non-contributing, junk salvaging, digging for a bonanza, weasel Cannonmn."

My second thought was a replaceable tooth for digging/facing/trenching equipment of some sort.
I'm imagining a rotating drum or disk populated with many and beating the subject media into submission.
The slot could be to engage a retainer.
Even if they're not hard, they might be production over-run and not yet heat treated.

Too bad Cannonmn isn't bright or savvy enough to provide dimensions or even a common object for scale reference.

My first thought was "More 'what is it?' from that non-contributing, junk salvaging, digging for a bonanza, weasel Cannonmn."

Why, thank you! That's the nicest thing anybody's said about me all week!!
I'll be working up some more "please ID this junk" jest for u!!

betcha they are part of some work holding thing. A vertical hole in a palette holds the shaft and when rotated properly a flat part, the thickness of the slot is jammed between three of four of them. Probably a set up for some drilling of milling operation, above the table. Notice no matter how you turn it the slot is always parallel to the table surface.

dee
;-D

Why, thank you! That's the nicest thing anybody's said about me all week!!
I'll be working up some more "please ID this junk" jest for u!!

LOL!

Really, now - IF you have even half an idea what that shop "used to do", and what equipment they had, it can be far FASTER, as well as less PM-intrusive to do a Google on "images <<whatever>>" of your own guesses.

Also broad ebay searches, where as many WRONG ID as right ones will show up, but still...

Even so, either/both searches are faster than waiting to see who in PM-land has time and inclination to post a response - few of which are of any use as to ID, anyway.

"Scrap" was mentioned. Not really funny, those jests. Hardly a man here isn't fretting as to how to not be "buried" in, under, or even WITH his own f*****g flavour of it.

If you value even YOUR time, and figure everyone else's is "Free", scrap is generally the simple reality, not just a wisecrack.

Nearly any item of tooling that HAS any value will be fairly obvious.

"Mystery" goods were at one time of value to someone.. that is no longer in the market. That, after all, is WHY you have them NOW.

Metal scrapped is easily replaced.

Time "scrapped", and goodwill - damaged - are not so easily replaced.

I think if you knew how many I figure out here, that don't make it to any forum, you'd appreciate it. One I did yesterday, simple for you I'm sure but it took about 10 min. Of web search ending in a Google/wiki item. I could tell these were locknuts but had never seen this kind before. But I don't quite believe the Google entry that says you can use these over and over indefinitely. Metal fatigue would occur. But how many times would this be tightened and removed anyway? My guess is on average a few at most. I'll need to experiment a little to see how hard the bolt has to be to avoid these nuts stripping the threads, normal SHCS would do fine so maybe I'd only use them with those.

And if you searched, you can see I have a lot more than junk ID posts on this forum.

But I really do appreciate all the hugs and kisses from a couple of you! I took some elective psych courses in school and find some of your snarky posts fairly revealing regarding insecurities etc.

img_5715.jpg

Last edited:

Back