What's new
What's new

buttress threads

Are you sure you are talking about buttress and not Acme threads?

Or visa-versa?

14 would be wrong for any buttress thread I know, from either direction, but ok for an Acme.

It's been a long time since I've done either but 7 would work for an ANSI 7/45 buttress if your going at it from that direction.

Check pages 1604-1637 of your MHB.

Last edited:
Acme is 29* included angle, so you want the compound at a little less than 1/2 that, or 14*.

Buttress is a whole 'nuther animal -- 45* on the leading edge, and 0-7* on the trailing edge.

Regards.

Finegrain

Be careful - Buttress thread comes in in all kinds of angles and forms, depending on it's use.
Go here for for standard metric buttress thread DIN 513:http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/buttress-coarse-thread.html
While some 30 deg/3 deg angle (general use) others have 45 deg (Hydraulic press). Some have a 40 deg/10 deg angle (for plastic) and there are others used in mining etc.
You may have a standard inch 45 deg buttress thread.

Ray - check, make sure it is not metric 180 x 6 (DIN 2781)

Well as we all know companies do wierd things. Like Vickers TJ piston rods-metric dia. with a 12 pitch thread and the like. Hopefully because this is an American cyl. it'll be standard. But you got me to wondering so I,m going to check. Thanks for the input!

Ray

Back