What's new
What's new

Where to buy a surface grinder wheel?

rickseeman

Cast Iron
I need a new wheel for a 10 x 24 Brown and Sharpe surface grinder. I would like to talk to a sales person that knows about grinding wheels to tell me what I need. Who is a knowledgeable place to call? Thanks

unfortunately a knowledgeable sales person for surface grinding wheels may be hard to find. why don't you ask the question here, and then you can get the wheel wherever?

You need to be clear what you most intend to grind.. Mild steel, flat topping a material,a surface for size,for maximum speed of stock removal, what operation, for a specific surface finish. for holding form such as a radius or shape, for holding a very small radius corner..Each and more uses call for a specific wheel choice.
You choose the most often target use and make procedure or sacrifice for the other uses.
Radiac wheel may make suggestions if you are clear on the most often use of the wheel.

My average starting wheel is 46k white aluminum oxide wheel…. but for instance it is not very good for a .020 inside corner , or a mirror finish.

Radiac 800-851-1085 *but don't waste their time with not knowing what you intend to grind.

Last edited:
I have bought wheel at auction for my use and have sold a few some even sent off to Germany..even have given some away..so there is nothing wrong with a used name-brand aluminum oxide wheel. Odd structure wheels should be avoided as they may be composed of Odd materials you don't want in your lungs.
All vitrified wheels should ring test and fit the spindle mount. I have added a shim to a loose fit wheel..but they should be slide-on fit not a hard push fit to a mount. always with a blotter even if you have to make the blotter of construction paper or cereal box cardboard.
I now use a simple mask when grinding but did for many years not use a mask. Always wear safety glasses.and know the difference between grind side and climb side grinding..climbs side coming in will/may flip a part on the chuck.
Do watch and mind the wheel stated RPM and avoid grinding with the wheel side..the wheel OD is the proper place to grind and the side is only for the experienced grinder hand who knows the drill of doing such.

re:Vitrified.. Think of abrasive particles stuck together with melted glass.. that is why the ring test can tell if the wheel has a hidden crack. An open wheel has more empty spaces between the particles. Grit size is the size of abrasive grits..hardness is how the bond holds the particles before each breaks away to expose a new/sharp one. Dressing is making all the grits flat to the surface.
Common grit is 36/46/60/80.. Common hardness is H through M. (A softest and Z hardest.

A "K" hardness may not be the same hardest as an "K" wheel made by another wheel name.Such as going from Norton wheel to a Radiac)

*You should know you need a straight surface grinder wheel 10" x 1" x 3" if that is the case..needed to fit you wheel mount and the speed (RPM) of your spindle..

Perhaps measure the wheel mount and the inside of the wheel guard..
Perhaps this is the wheel you might choose..but that depends on what and how you will grind.
1" Wheel Diam x 3" Hole Diam x 1" Thick, J 5985825 - MSC

I would like to talk to a sales person that knows about grinding wheels to tell me what I need.

Unless you're buying $1k/month, that probably isn't going to happen. The factory reps that have the knowledge are talking to big customers, not home shop users. Sorry!

That said, you first need to know what size wheel you need. ID (critical usually 1 1/4 or 3), OD, and thickness, and RPM are all things that are required to buy a wheel. Then, you need to know what you are going to grind; mild steel, hardened steel, carbide. I'm just a home shop guy myself and probably have a dozen different wheels in material, grit, shapes, and sizes for my manual grinder. Also, will you be running coolant? How much money do you want to spend? Prices vary widely!

That should be enough to get you going for a while. Answer all of those, and there are people here that can give you some good choices. Without the above, all you get is opinions.
JR

The wheel that was on it was a 12x5x1 but I thought the book said it takes a 14x5x1-1/2. I guess the previous owner put a smaller wheel on it. Possibly to save money? The only thing we use it for is grinding a small piece of steel flat every now and then and sometimes we sharpen knives for an ironworker.

Back