What's new
What's new

Where can I get this friction tape

Jim_Lou

Cast Iron
When I do a Google search for "friction tape" all that comes up is the electrical stuff. "Friction material" returns low-friction material and brake pads. This is a tape that has a surface that looks like cork but seems to be ground up rubber. It's 2" wide and I need about 100' of it for a customer's project.

Does anyone know who a U.S. supplier would be?

Thanks!

DSCN5507a.JPG

What does 'anti slip' tape get you...looks almost like the stuff you stick to running boards or places that might be inclined to get slippery. Does it have a adhesive back, does it require one?

Stuart

I don't think grip/traction tape is what you are wanting, that is more of an aluminum oxide grit instead of the rubber grit you've mentioned.

I know McMaster has some cork/rubber pipe wrap, looks like it is 2" wide and 30' lengths. Item 93855K11

What is the priority, traction, cushion, or appearance?

Anti-slip tape

Cushion tape

Cork tape

Granulated rubber tape

Grit tape

Grip tape

Abrasive tape

Traction tape

Bathtub tape

Skateboard tape

Handlebar tape

Fishing pole tape

Baseball bat tape

Talon Grips (for firearms)

You found it once, it seems, but you don't know what industry uses it, or who made it, and it has no maker's mark on it?

I will echo Reis and say "Get them on the phone!" Who? How about 3M?

Here's the 3M homepage:   Industrial Adhesives & Tapes

Get the proper 3M rep on the phone, send them a sample, call them back in a week or so.

3M Gripping Materals.JPG

3M makes a wide variety of anti-skid tape -- they call it Safety Walk. The mildest of them is designed for something like a bathtub, while the heavy duty versions are designed for use on the walking surface of aircraft wings - the heavy duty version also has an aluminum inner layer so it can conform to a non-flat surface better. As I remember, it is made by the Home & Commercial Care Division.

Here's their web address:

: Anti-Slip Tapes & Treads

3M is usually pretty good about answering phone questions, and they often will send you samples of their suggested products.

Thanks all! I'll try the suggestions. I'm sure several will pan out.

FYI, this is a friction material, used to direct the passage of fabric over rollers. I'm modifying a customer's machine and making longer rollers. The sample in the picture came off the old rollers, made by a company which is no longer in business.

Thanks all! I'll try the suggestions. I'm sure several will pan out.

FYI, this is a friction material, used to direct the passage of fabric over rollers. I'm modifying a customer's machine and making longer rollers. The sample in the picture came off the old rollers, made by a company which is no longer in business.

Who else makes these machines or services them for this industry? They will know what it is without spending hours on the phone re-inventing the wheel so to speak. Your customer might have some idea who this is?
Rob

Make the rollers, send them back to customer.

Customer gets them recovered.

Unless they are paying you shop rate to find their vendor.

Maybe these folks?
http://rolltech.com/page/restoratio...ep549-isxtjn&gclid=COyuwM2MgrcCFck-MgodE3YATg

Not to be confused with
http://www.rol-tec.com/capabilities/rubber-roller-coverings.php

From the Rol-Tec site:
Compounds:
Buna Nitrile (BN)
Caroxilated Nitrile (CN)
Cast Polyurethane
Ebonite
EPDM
FDA Compounds
Hydrogenated Nitrile (XNBR)
Hypalon
Laser Engraving Compounds
Natural Rubber
Neoprene
Nitrile/PVC
Primax
SBR
Silicone
Silicone Blends
Teflon Impregnated Elastomers
Teflon Sleeves & FEP Shrink Sleeves
Viton
Elastomer Chart
Specialty Coverings:
Antistatic or Static Dissipating Coverings
High Temperature Rubber Coverings
Abrasion Resistant Coverings
Ozone Resistant Coverings
UV Coating and UV Resistant Rollers
Teflon Shrink Sleeves and FEP Teflon Sleeves
Treater Roll Coverings
0-1 P&J or Bone Hard Coverings
Thermally Conductive Coverings
Dual Durometer Rollers
Rubber Covered Composite Sleeves and Nickel Sleeves
FDA Rubber Rollers and FDA Approved Coverings
**Rol-Tec will certify that the compounds used to cover the FDA or Food Grade Rollers contain FDA approved compounds with specific FDA approved ingredients at appropriate levels, it is the responsibility of the end-user to obtain the necessary FDA approval. Rol-Tec cannot certify that the entire end roller is FDA approved.
Ask us for a replacement or comparable if you are using: Premium Rock®, Dura-Coat®, Val-Coat®, Val-Rite®, Polar-Rite®, Grip-Rite®, Multichem, Ebomite, Plastaloy, Black Diamond, or Webmate.
Premium Rock®, Dura-Coat®, Val-Coat®, Val-Rite®, Polar-Rite® and Grip-Rite® are registered trademarks of Valley Roller Company, Inc.

Or...
http://www.manvillerubber.com/rubber_covered_rollers.html

Might try Louis P. Batson Co. in Greenville SC. IIRC, that is where most of the textile mills bought rolls of rubber to cover the sand rollers on Draper looms. There were a variety of textures used.

Another source to try is Tessa Band. I use there rubber tape on rollers in the print industry (i use the smooth grey version but they do other versions too). Sit down before you read the price though, last reel i got was the other side of £150 That said its bloody good stuff and is totally non marking. Complete ass to get off if allowed to wear down too much though, hence best changed before it fully wears through the grey layer.

FYI, this is a friction material, used to direct the passage of fabric over rollers.

I have several paper rewinding machines that use rollers like this. I just recovered an 12" x 18' roll last week and it's amazing the difference that new cork makes. I got several rolls of adhesive backed cork rubber and spiral wrapped the roller. Don't stretch the cork as you're applying it or it will crack the first time you run it. The last person to recover mine used some god awful adhesive that took a ton of work to remove. I suggest just using the adhesive backed material as it is holding up great for me and it will be much easier to recover next time.

If you're still looking... check jemmco.com they sell rolls in several widths. Rubberized Cork Traction Tape

mike

Thanks, Mike. Batson asked for a sample, which should have gotten there today but I haven't heard. I'll try Jemmco too. Traction tape is probably the term I should have used in the first place. I knew friction tape would get way more bad hits than good, but . . .

Back