What's new
What's new

Where do you buy electrical enclosures?

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 2,236
G

Not sure where to post this, I am just looking for an electrical enclosure to put some phase converter guts in as I am upgrading my phase converter. Desired size would be 24" x 16" x 8" deep. The 8" deep is a must but might be able to cut down on the 24 x 16. I just freaked out when I went to E-Bay and saw people trying to sell used enclosures around the same size hacked up with a lot of the knockouts missing for $150-$350. A little Googling turned up new ones for $50+ shipping and up, but I have never done business with any of those people. Who should I buy new from? Or if a PM member has a suitable can to sell (we called them cans back in the day)and takes Paypal send me a PM.

I've collected enclosures since they are expensive to buy and expensive to ship.

You might post a Wanted ad on Craigslist, with a photo or two, desired dimensions, etc.

Metal recycling centers rarely allow you to buy off the pile.

There may be a used machinery dealer near you.

Any electrical supply house should stock a wide array of enclosures. Licensed Electricians that I've dealt with in New Orleans usually buy from a supply house.....Not Home Depot or Lowes.

In any case...Just check out "Electrical Supply and sales" in the Richmond Yellow Pages. I would imagine that there are a number of large supply houses in your area.

Any Electrical Supply House in the Richmond area should have enclosures. Check the Richmond yellow pages.
Most licensed electricians I've dealt with buy all their supplies for jobs from an electrical supply house...Not the big box stores. I'm sure that there are a few large supply houses in the Richmond area.
For what its worth...even the ones in New Orleans which say Wholesale will still sell to me even though I'm not licensed.

Look for industrial electric motor services and suppliers.

Check for the older ones as many have bone yards and sell used things.

We have a local place been in business for 90 years or so and has just about anything and usually priced right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Those ready made metal boxes are expensive. If you really want to save money, you will have to make your own. Of course you will need a metal brake.

You could look at the local home supply places. You may have to buy a breaker box and strip out the guts. Those are some of the most reasonable priced electrical boxes around and they will have knockouts of many sizes. A local electrician may have a leftover box he wants to get rid of.

Or look at the used/surplus market.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually worked for an electrical supply house in the early 80's. Back then a lot of items were sold with a minimum of a Nema 1 enclosure, people just needing the components didn't want the enclosure. We never sold the empty enclosures they got piled in the warehouse and were free for the taking if anyone asked.

Back