Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Where to find 1/4-24 and 5/16-20 bolts?

  1. #1
    borne2fly is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    692

    Default Where to find 1/4-24 and 5/16-20 bolts?

    Antique sizes, so I'm told. Not sure if they're still made anywhere on planet Earth except for a few specialty Harley shops, and then only in the one or two lengths used by pre-war Harleys. Does anyone know a source for these odd threads? And no, they are not mis-identified metric threads. These are the real thing, square heads and all.

  2. #2
    thermite is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic USA, South China
    Posts
    12,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borne2fly View Post
    Antique sizes, so I'm told. Not sure if they're still made anywhere on planet Earth except for a few specialty Harley shops, and then only in the one or two lengths used by pre-war Harleys. Does anyone know a source for these odd threads? And no, they are not mis-identified metric threads. These are the real thing, square heads and all.
    You can still make - or buy - taps and dies for 'em:

    National Supply Source Thread Monster Solid Carbide Thread Mills - 60 UN Thread - TiN Coated* - Thread Monster Solid Carbide Thread Mills - 60 UN Thread - TiN Coated* Product Page

    But 'the usual suspects' don't seem to stock 'em.

    Bill

  3. #3
    Limy Sami is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    11,669

    Default

    I think you're going to need one of those places - what are they called ?... oh yeah a machine shop

    There is tap & die company in the US that does the oddball sizes but I can't recall their name.

    Only few req'd ? - single point them.

    Up to a few hundred - get a split solid die.

    Few hundred plus - get a set of dies made for a geometric die box.

  4. #4
    thermite is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic USA, South China
    Posts
    12,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    I think you're going to need one of those places - what are they called ?... oh yeah a machine shop

    There is tap & die company in the US that does the oddball sizes but I can't recall their name.

    Only few req'd ? - single point them.

    Up to a few hundred - get a split solid die.

    Few hundred plus - get a set of dies made for a geometric die box.
    So long as the material to be threaded is mild steel OE, making one's own taps and dies is not at all difficult...

    If no screw-cutting lathe with appropriate settings, buy one tap, make the die(s) with that.

    Both sizes are small enough to heat-treat tap OR die with a torch.

    Bill

  5. #5
    L Vanice is online now Diamond
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    8,991

    Default

    Parts like that fall off my lathe occasionally, but the time to make them means they are not cheap.

    You can buy the taps and dies for reasonable prices here: High Speed Round Adjustable Dies - special thread up to 1/2".

    Larry

  6. #6
    Limy Sami is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    11,669

    Default

    Thanks Larry - that was the firm I was thinking of.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    10,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borne2fly View Post
    Antique sizes, so I'm told. Not sure if they're still made anywhere on planet Earth except for a few specialty Harley shops, and then only in the one or two lengths used by pre-war Harleys. Does anyone know a source for these odd threads? And no, they are not mis-identified metric threads. These are the real thing, square heads and all.
    This is one of the threads (I'm referring to the post ) I don't get.

    A bolt isn't just a bolt. Are you intending using it for a Harley or not?
    Quantity, length, steel quality? Must it have a square head? Are you able to make it yourself if need be?

    Think how easy it would be for you to give just a bit more info.

    I looked in my ASME B1.1 and found that 1/4"-24 is between UNC and UNF but not included in the standard. On the other hand 5/16"-20 is specified as UN.
    JoeE. and digger doug like this.

  8. #8
    Leadfootin is offline Aluminum
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    165

    Default Harley bolts

    You may want to check the thread form as well. Are they 60 degree UN or 55 degree Whitworth?
    starbolin likes this.

  9. #9
    Joe21 is offline Aluminum
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Niagara Falls, NY - USA
    Posts
    128

    Default

    I have both a -24 and 5/16-20 tap that are yours for the asking.
    If for nothing else you can use them to chase threaded holes.
    PM me if interested.

    Joe

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    10,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootin View Post
    You may want to check the thread form as well. Are they 60 degree UN or 55 degree Whitworth?
    That certainly is a valid point but the two threads given are neither BSW or BSF so I'm guessing they aren't Whitworth

    I still don't know if the mention of Harley was intended as helpful or just very misleading.
    If the mention of Harley was meant to be helpful then it'd been better to mention it in the title. That'd attract many more members LOL

  11. #11
    ZAGNUT is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    978

    Default

    drill and put a helicoil or whatever you prefer in there for modern bolts. for the 5/16 you might even get away with just chasing with an M8 tap, depends on the thread depth i guess. M7 might work for the smaller one but i don't think that really exists in the real world...

    but then as Gordon said, without knowing your intended use the above may as well be totally useless...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    10,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe21 View Post
    I have both a -24 and 5/16-20 tap that are yours for the asking.
    If for nothing else you can use them to chase threaded holes.
    PM me if interested.

    Joe
    That surely must be one of the major things as to what PM is about. Joe, I hope others are as helpful to you

  13. #13
    borne2fly is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Joe21 .... PM sent

    Sorry folks, the only reason I mentioned Harley was that it's one of the few things I could remember that used these fasteners. My application is for toolholders on a turret, and the existing bolts appear to be just mild steel. Yes, I could single point them, but first I thought I'd check if anyone still cranked them out by the truckload, in which case it would make more sense to just buy a bunch. I haven't reached the point yet where I'm too cheap to buy nuts & bolts But I guess these really are rare as hens teeth so I'll just hammer 'em out myself.

  14. #14
    thermite is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic USA, South China
    Posts
    12,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borne2fly View Post
    Joe21 .... PM sent

    Sorry folks, the only reason I mentioned Harley was that it's one of the few things I could remember that used these fasteners. My application is for toolholders on a turret, and the existing bolts appear to be just mild steel. Yes, I could single point them, but first I thought I'd check if anyone still cranked them out by the truckload, in which case it would make more sense to just buy a bunch. I haven't reached the point yet where I'm too cheap to buy nuts & bolts But I guess these really are rare as hens teeth so I'll just hammer 'em out myself.
    The good news is that you can make 'em of better steel / heat-treat, and with your choice of tip form and driving head style.

    Bill

  15. #15
    borne2fly is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    692

    Default

    That's true, I'm free to make better ones. Ideally I'd like to make them all Allen heads but I don't have a rotary broach, at least not yet. Dear Santa ......

  16. #16
    Loner Industries is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borne2fly View Post
    Joe21 .... PM sent

    Sorry folks, the only reason I mentioned Harley was that it's one of the few things I could remember that used these fasteners. My application is for toolholders on a turret, and the existing bolts appear to be just mild steel. Yes, I could single point them, but first I thought I'd check if anyone still cranked them out by the truckload, in which case it would make more sense to just buy a bunch. I haven't reached the point yet where I'm too cheap to buy nuts & bolts But I guess these really are rare as hens teeth so I'll just hammer 'em out myself.
    How hard are the tool holders? Do you have room to drill them out and tap them to a source able thread size?

  17. #17
    Limy Sami is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    11,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borne2fly View Post
    That's true, I'm free to make better ones. Ideally I'd like to make them all Allen heads but I don't have a rotary broach, at least not yet. Dear Santa ......
    Buy long (short thread long shank) Allen headed bolts, cut off threaded section & rethread to spec.

  18. #18
    borne2fly is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loner Industries View Post
    How hard are the tool holders? Do you have room to drill them out and tap them to a source able thread size?
    They're mild steel. I could re-tap the lot of them, but I'm only missing a few of the bolts so it's actually easier to make the bolts.

  19. #19
    borne2fly is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Buy long (short thread long shank) Allen headed bolts, cut off threaded section & rethread to spec.
    Hadn't thought of that. I like it. I do have a few stainless Allens floating around, and as I recall I had to modify the heads for something else and they were relatively easy to machine.

  20. #20
    9100's Avatar
    9100 is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    4,195

    Default

    I had to make a few 1/4-24 nuts a while back for a 1920s Indian Motocycle (not a typo) transmission and was able to buy a tap from Missouri Tool in Fenton, MO. Indian also liked 12-28 screws. These were common sizes at one time but fell out of use. It wouldn't be worthwhile for the few you need, but sometimes a Geometric chaser can be opened or closed to the next size, like going from 8-32 to 10-32. I didn't try going from 10-24 to 1/4-24 because I needed nuts for existing studs, not bolts. AFAIK the thread shape is standard Americano or so close to it that it doesn't matter.

    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •