What's new
What's new

where to get coal in atlanta georgia ?

tnmgcarbide

Diamond
i'm looking into heating my shop w/ Anthracite coal . it could be the least expensive fuel
i could heat with - but if i can't get the stuff , it doesn't matter .......

i'm looking into a self- stoking furnace that uses an auger to feed finely crushed anthracite
from a hopper.

all i've found here is smelly bituminous coal ...don't want it.

i'm wondering how many tons i'd have to buy in order to warrant a shipment from PA where
they mine the stuff?

any suggestions?

Aetna Coal, Brown’s Siding, Wildwood, GA. Call James Lynn at (615) 821-5433 between 7:00 AM and 4:00 PM. Ask for metallurgical coal.
Buck Ice & Coal Co., 2400 Twelfth Avenue, PO Box 1457, Columbus, GA 31902-1457, TEL: 706-322-5451. Sell Bituminous coal in fifty pound sacks and also by the hundred weight (1000 pound minimum on loose coal).
Jimmy Johnson, Rt. 5, Union Hill Road, Canton, Georgia 30114. TEL: (770) 479-8627.
GA Farriers Supply, 2891 Upper Bethany Rd, Jasper, GA 30143. TEL: (770) 735-3984

coal stove

i have a coal stove in my shop

1) size of coal has a big effect on fire. Pea size coal is easier to start and burns hotter than Chestnut or bigger sizes

2) ash is slightly toxic. has poisonous heavy metals in it.

3) it can be a pain to clean out a cold stove in the cold and then taking 1/2hr or more getting a good hot fire going

4) coal stove can take up a lot of floor space. storing coal can take up a lot of space

after 20 years in my shop i recommend getting a natural gas stove. a hot air furnace is cheap and will work. the infrared natural gas ceiling type heaters reflect a lot of heat and working under one you can get warm very quickly.
natural gas gets hot faster, easier to keep area clean (no ash), you never run out if house in connected to street natural gas line. many heaters and furnaces also have thermostats for temp control. bottom line it is not worth saving a little money for the inconvenience of coal..

Oh and that smell when opening up the firebox door.....right up the nostrils.

Shoveled enough coal working at a garage that heated with it, I should
have my W.V. coal miners card....we ran a tri-axle load a year.

Some of the outdoor wood stoves can run coal, that would be the cleanest
way I can see running it.

Hauling Eastern Pa. anthricite down there would negate the cost saving's,
burning the cheaper local coal would prove better for cost.

nope, don't want no sooty dirty smelly soft coal .
antracite's bad enough , but in a furnace hopefully most of the poisonous fumes will make
it out the chimney .

i'd love to use gas , but it will be very expensive to heat +/- 50,000 cu ft with gas .

i figure about $30/35 a day for gas . anthracite about $18 for 100# if i could get it .

i was using kerosene @$5.50 /gallon (burning 1 gal/hour ) but it is blowing into the shop
and gives off a horrible smell - also deposits water over every bit of exposed iron= rusty
machine tools. and very expensive.

This thread brought back memories of the old Pot Belly Stoves they used to have in stores!
I remember one that heated a very large building, it must have been 6' tall and 5' around!!

Just wondering have you looked into pellets. I have no clue what they cost in comparison to burning fossil fuel but I would have to wonder about them. This past month here in the Northeast we got a snow storm in before the trees dropped all their leaves, well our railroad got hammered. We had rock cuts where practically every tree fell down and onto the rail. Having spent about 3 days volunteering clearing trees this month all I could think of is how many people are paying a fortune to heat their homes (I am in an apartment right now with free heat) in oil bills and their we were tossing aside hundreds of tons of perfectly good carbon rich fuel. I would have to think with every chipper rented in the state and the rental companies trucking them in from as far out as South Carolina that there is a good chance that the prices on pellets should be coming down this winter. Does anyone know where they usually send the chips from the landscaping/tree removal trucks when they are full? Are they pelletizing them?

We have a cpl pellet mills within about an hr of here. AFAIK they only use sawdust. Chips would be way too big.

???

Personally _ I kant imagine them selling a lot of pellets the next few yrs with all the ash trees comming down all over. I would think that many guys would be sliding the pellet burner aside and slipping the old wood burner back in for a while with such a glut of wood available.

It looked like 30% of the woods woke up dead this spring around here!
I have two guys knocking them down along my drive so that they don't fall in over the winter.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Wood pellet stoves have become the fuel of choice around here. The installation can be much cheaper, don't need the big chimney required for wood or coal. That can save a couple of thousand right there.

Never compared the cost of pellets vs. coal. They are cheaper than wood if you are buying both.

tnmg,

My dad heats a 1-acre greenhouse with anthracite and buys it by the tractor trailer load. I think last year he paid about $140/ton for his coal. Anthracite has 20 million BTU's per ton so you can compare it to oil, gas, etc that way.

I put in a coal stove to heat my house last winter and it is a great investment. I went from burning $3000+ of heating oil a year to $700 of coal. Modern stoker-style stoves are low maintenance and clean. My house is now a toasty 72-75 instead of freezing at 65 with oil. I dump in a bucket of coal every day and empty the ash pan every other day. That's about the extent of it. Computer controlled so it will maintain whatever temperature you set.

Anthracite is easy to get where I live since I'm only about 1 1/2 hours from the mines in PA.

FYI coal contains 60% more BTU's per ton than wood pellets. So while they are comparable on a $/ton basis, you get a lot more heat from coal.

Two of the larger coal mines are Blaschak and Reading Anthracite. I'd contact them and see what it would cost to get it delivered to your area. For the amount you will be burning you should start at the mine.

I would think At least 20-24 ton to make the trip worth it . where I get my coal , it's $190.00/ton picked up . theres no comparison to the BTU's of coal ,but with the prices starting to rise around here on top of the trucking , you might be better off burning the fuel it takes to truck it down to you .

RH68 , I just seen your post , $170.00 is about the lowest I paid last winter but I always pick up in Tamaqua . I'll have to do a price check again .

ih,

The $140/ton I mentioned is by the truckload and directly from the mine. Are you buying from a distributor? Distributors in my area are around $200 a ton picked up.

I heat the house and shop with pellets. Price of pellets has gone up steadily and not the great deal it was 10 years ago. Nice thing is, it feels warmer than a high efficiency furnace.
A lot of people bought stoves that can burn corn, but even if you raise your own, its probably better to sell the corn and buy gas right now.

Dave

ih,

The $140/ton I mentioned is by the truckload and directly from the mine. Are you buying from a distributor? Distributors in my area are around $200 a ton picked up.

I get at the breaker they get the raw coal hualed in from hazelton . There's a place right behind them for $150.00/ton I'll be going to next time . there's so many places up here to go to .

just a word on waste oil heaters. I used to accumulate considerable hyd oil, which was of course cleaner than heating oil, anyways I often had trouble giving it away, now this was several years ago, but still it indicates that there still may be a considerable supply out there of un-claimed free oil for burning. look into the legalities of transport, BTW

Back