What's new
What's new

Surface Plates

IndyGunworks

Cast Iron
What are they used for? Someone wants to sell me one thats 16x10 for super cheap is this something i might end up needing in the future? I cannot think of any future operation in gunsmithing that i would need one for but the price is right if i want to pick it up just to have. I could always use it as a lapping plate right?

I think what i am saying is that i dont have a need but dont want to pass up on a deal of there is a chance i could need it, or if its a handy thing to have laying around. Plus who does like a new tool?

I use mine eating for chinese food and snorting blow. :smoking:

But seriously, they're used as a reference surface in about 19 million different ways. If you buy it, get a height gage too.

You can use it a thousand different ways in gunsmithing or any machine shop aplication. Once you have it the light bulb in your head will go on at differerent ways to utilize it.

You have not said whether it's a granite or steel surface plate. There are a lot of the import granite plates for sale really cheap and for many purposes work quite well.

A good quality steel plate would be harder to come by cheap I would think.

Regardless you wouldn't want to lap directly on a surface plate, it would wallow out the surface over time and it would have to be reconditioned. If you want to lap on it, wet a piece of silicon carbide wet / dry sandpaper with solvent and lay it face up on the plate, now you have a nice flat surface to lap or finish a part. The solvent serves to hold the paper somewhat from sliding around on teh plate as you work.

Aside from that the plate will serve as a reference for taking precision measurements on parts.

Bernard

What's super cheap? I got a 24" x 36" x 4.5" Do-All for $50. That was a better deal than the 12" x 18" ENCO one that was about $30. delivered awhile back. Now I just need a good collection of antique surface gauges to display on them. :D

Its granite, and supposedly 5 inches thick. Came out of the GM fabrication plant here in indianpolis when they closed, still new in packaging.

I would check some prices from MSC, Enco, McMaster Carr, etc. for comparable plates, and if the price is really right, buy it. You will find it useful if you are doing any precision layout or measureing work.

Bernard

Back