What's new
What's new

where to place vertical bandsaw in the shop.

Bill D

Diamond
I bought a 14' vertical /horizontal bandsaw that will be used just vertically. This means no coolant is used so any thoughts on where to locate it. Can it be shoved tight to a wall at the back? I will be cutting nothing over 5-6 feet long at most.
Since it is on wheels I could pull it out and reconnect the coolant pump which has to be disconnected for vertical use. I suppose I could run dry air through the coolant ports to help cool the blade. probably a waste of time and blow metal shaving into the air for me to breathe.
Bill D.

I like to have enough space to get beside it for blade changes, and enough space behind it to at least sweep up, but depending on how often you sweep and how much you care about your floor, I suppose you could shove it right back...

I bought a 14' vertical /horizontal bandsaw that will be used just vertically. This means no coolant is used so any thoughts on where to locate it. Can it be shoved tight to a wall at the back? I will be cutting nothing over 5-6 feet long at most.
Since it is on wheels I could pull it out and reconnect the coolant pump which has to be disconnected for vertical use. I suppose I could run dry air through the coolant ports to help cool the blade. probably a waste of time and blow metal shaving into the air for me to breathe.
Bill D.

How did you even get a 14 foot band saw in the door?

How did you even get a 14 foot band saw in the door?

Fourteen foot one? Photos please!

Seriously, if it is on wheels, I don't see the problem. If you need to work around it or need more space for the stock, just pull it out. That's what I do with my 4X6. It stays in it's cubby-hole 99.9% of the time but when I have to I just pull it out in the isle.

Since you don't show any pics of your shop, how would anyone know where they would put it? :scratchchin:

Most shops are different, so almost impossible for others to know what your shop looks like.

Hint - today you *think* you will never need to cut anything really long on your vertical bandsaw. That's because you haven't yet run into the opportunity to save days on some project by using it to rip something down the middle - usually something odd you wouldn't normally think of rip sawing (like cutting a 12' section of PVC down the middle to make two half circles which solved a certain problem...)

It may happen only once. But it will happen - such problems are drawn to vertical bandsaws...

And a 14' one, well, BIG problems will attach themselves to that (:-)

Bill D.

:toetap:

:nutter:

:leaving:

What we need are pictures so all of old machinists can advise you proper on your needs.

Back