What's new
What's new

Who repairs VFDs?

My Miltronics ML20 has a Magnetec VFD for the spindle motor. It over loads and drops out when ever the spindle has a heavy load. A 1 1/2" spade drill in 304 for example. It never had this problem til about a month ago and seems to be getting worse all the time. Now it has started losing its parameters when you shut the machine off. It only takes 10 - 15 minutes to re install them but what a PITA. I found Precision Electronic Services in Danville Va. on line, anyone use them? They say it will cost about 975.00 to repair and that is with a 18 month warranty. A new one from Miltronics is now a Yaskawa brand and they want 2375.00 for it, seems high to me.

Almost every drive repair shop will hip shoot you a quote almost to the dollar of 50% of the cost of new. Without even knowing what is actually wrong with the drive. I have never heard of Magnetec but Yaskawa makes one hell of a long lasting drive.

Yaskawa, who had already been manufacturing drives for MagneTek, bought the drives business unit from MagneTek in 2001, according to a quick Google search. Remember years ago going to a local distributor sponsored seminar for MagneTek drives, and a few years later they were selling Yaskawas, same drive IIRC, just different enclosure. Yaskawa distributor should be able to help with repairs. Had years of trouble free operation with Yaskawa drives. They also had more basic models, without all the bells and whistles of an Allen Bradley.

If the Miltronics quote mentions the Yaskawa drive number just buy one else where. Machine builders mark things up 3 or 4 times the cost. If you have the machine drawings and motor tag data you could substitute an Teco brand drive for a lot less money. Factorymation is a great supplier with strong tech help. Best of luck!

If the Miltronics quote mentions the Yaskawa drive number just buy one else where. Machine builders mark things up 3 or 4 times the cost. If you have the machine drawings and motor tag data you could substitute an Teco brand drive for a lot less money. Factorymation is a great supplier with strong tech help. Best of luck!

Miltronics has their own part number not related to any Yaskawa number

Magnetec = Yaskawa as far as I know.

Precision Zone in Chicago can repair it for you. They repaired the one on my Haas.

I have repaired several VFD's. The most common problem is the main capacitor(s) get weak or go open. The symptoms are as you describe. If you can solder, remove the drive and open it up. Look for one or more large electrolytic capacitors. Match the values and physical size - making sure to get a low esr capacitor. You can easily find a match on Mouser or Digikey. Cost will probably be less than $100. Maybe less than $50. If you are in doubt, take some photos of the guts and post here.

Back