What's new
What's new

Why does everyone have to overtighten bolts

scrapdaddy

Aluminum
I get sooo peaved at people who overtighten everything! Please excuse me but I just need to vent here
One of the most common situations that I see is the cam-lok and top clamp waaay over tightened on turning tools. To me the habit of doing this is a sign of lack of understanding of mechanical concepts and lack of training.

I'm sick of worn out cam pins and stripped out hexes in all our tooling. Ruin my perfectly good hex wrenches trying to loosen some insanely tight bolt.

One of the common responses I get is "the insert will move if I don't get that tight" Or "It must have tightened itself up during machining"

Then I explain to them that the cam lock is there to merely LOCATE the insert in the pocket and the top clamp is there to keep it from falling out....that during heavy cutting with a DCLNR the cutting forces will force the insert harder into the pocket and the clamps are doing nothing.(The exception is reverse feeding during which DOC is so very minimal it makes little difference) They look at me like I'm crazy.

20 yrs ago a Kennametal rep gave us a class and explained that a DNMG 432 insert cam pin only needs 4 to 6 inch pounds of torque. A good way to guage this is to put your finger out on the end if the hex wrench and just when she starts to flex.... STOP!

This phenomenon goes well beyond tool holders on to about any nut bolt or fastener in the shop.

I get sooo peaved at people who overtighten everything! Please excuse me but I just need to vent here
One of the most common situations that I see is the cam-lok and top clamp waaay over tightened on turning tools. To me the habit of doing this is a sign of lack of understanding of mechanical concepts and lack of training.

I'm sick of worn out cam pins and stripped out hexes in all our tooling. Ruin my perfectly good hex wrenches trying to loosen some insanely tight bolt.

One of the common responses I get is "the insert will move if I don't get that tight" Or "It must have tightened itself up during machining"

Then I explain to them that the cam lock is there to merely LOCATE the insert in the pocket and the top clamp is there to keep it from falling out....that during heavy cutting with a DCLNR the cutting forces will force the insert harder into the pocket and the clamps are doing nothing.(The exception is reverse feeding during which DOC is so very minimal it makes little difference) They look at me like I'm crazy.

20 yrs ago a Kennametal rep gave us a class and explained that a DNMG 432 insert cam pin only needs 4 to 6 inch pounds of torque. A good way to guage this is to put your finger out on the end if the hex wrench and just when she starts to flex.... STOP!

This phenomenon goes well beyond tool holders on to about any nut bolt or fastener in the shop.

To me the habit of doing this is a sign of lack of understanding of mechanical concepts and lack of training.
That says it all.

The other one is tiny set screws in 1/8 and smaller toolholders for the VMC. you go to loosen it and you crack the hex pocket and round your allen wrench because the wall is so thin and some hero was worried about a 3/32 endmill slipping on the plastic he was cutting. Of course, if you suggested torque wrenches you would offend people...... :rolleyes:

To me the habit of doing this is a sign of lack of understanding of mechanical concepts and lack of training.
That says it all.

The other one is tiny set screws in 1/8 and smaller toolholders for the VMC. you go to loosen it and you crack the hex pocket and round your allen wrench because the wall is so thin and some hero was worried about a 3/32 endmill slipping on the plastic he was cutting. Of course, if you suggested torque wrenches you would offend people...... :rolleyes:

That says it all.

I agree - but I have to say it seems like my Kennametal turning bars inserts tighten up from use. I'll install the insert with very little torque yet when it's time to get it loose the screw is very tight.

Keep in mind this is in my own little shop so I don't have anyone else to blame or dump the problem on!

I agree - but I have to say it seems like my Kennametal turning bars inserts tighten up from use. I'll install the insert with very little torque yet when it's time to get it loose the screw is very tight.

Keep in mind this is in my own little shop so I don't have anyone else to blame or dump the problem on!

You've hit on another one of my pet-peeves.
I find (almost daily) rounded-out screws on boring bars, facemills, indexable drills, and don't forget the stripped bolts in your clamping kits.
GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR... :mad:

I find (almost daily) rounded-out screws on boring bars, facemills, indexable drills, and don't forget the stripped bolts in your clamping kits.

Tell me about it... In EDM there is absolutely no tool pressure. The only thing that would have your part/fixture move is the water pressure from flushing. Yet the gorillas just can't see to help but wrench everything down like we hogging off 3/4" stock with a fly-cutter. I took every Allen wrench we have and cut the handle down to 1-1/2". Didn't even phase the gorillas. The all keep small ID pipes in their boxes now...

Tell me about it... In EDM there is absolutely no tool pressure. The only thing that would have your part/fixture move is the water pressure from flushing. Yet the gorillas just can't see to help but wrench everything down like we hogging off 3/4" stock with a fly-cutter. I took every Allen wrench we have and cut the handle down to 1-1/2". Didn't even phase the gorillas. The all keep small ID pipes in their boxes now...

It drives me nuts as well whenever someone overtightens things in a machine shop. I've got a partner who over tightens the dial nut on the knee of our bridgeport. I really have to strain to get that thing untightened. Some people don't know their own strength.

I remember in trade school, my instructor would lecture everybody (at least twice a month) on the do's and don'ts of the machine shop. He would always have to remind people not to overtighten things. It drove him nuts, too.

It drives me nuts as well whenever someone overtightens things in a machine shop. I've got a partner who over tightens the dial nut on the knee of our bridgeport. I really have to strain to get that thing untightened. Some people don't know their own strength.

I remember in trade school, my instructor would lecture everybody (at least twice a month) on the do's and don'ts of the machine shop. He would always have to remind people not to overtighten things. It drove him nuts, too.

Way too many uneducated individuals are of the opinion that if a little torque is good, alot more is better. The end result is always messed up toolhoders, clamp bolts, and trashed chucks. Saw an electrician (who somehow convinced the shop owner that he knew how to run machine tools) chuck up a part in a 3 jaw chuck. He was 'worried that it might slip', so after he gets the chuck tight, he puts a 3' long piece of pipe on the chuck wrench and pulls. Damn chuck was never right after that - neither was the electrician (he got his sorry arse canned after we mentioned his stunt to the owner).

Way too many uneducated individuals are of the opinion that if a little torque is good, alot more is better. The end result is always messed up toolhoders, clamp bolts, and trashed chucks. Saw an electrician (who somehow convinced the shop owner that he knew how to run machine tools) chuck up a part in a 3 jaw chuck. He was 'worried that it might slip', so after he gets the chuck tight, he puts a 3' long piece of pipe on the chuck wrench and pulls. Damn chuck was never right after that - neither was the electrician (he got his sorry arse canned after we mentioned his stunt to the owner).

Back