What's new
What's new

Screw Compressor

Northern

Aluminum
In the market soon for a screw compressor. Our current IR 5HP dual stage reciprocating compressor (only 3 years old) has outgrown its usefulness and we plan to use it as a surge tank and backup. We're looking at units in the 15-20 HP range ~ 70 cfm @ 125psi. Interested to hear people's experience with different makes.

We have 95,000 hours on our ingersoll rand.

When we have the oil, and hoses changed the service tech was surprised at how many hours it had

New Atlas-Copco, 15 hp, variable speed,w/dryer. I have never run into so much BS in my life. Never got the dryer to work right. They claimed our air was to dirty and that messed up their system. Our the shop is 150' long and you can read the exit sign on the far wall. Wound up with timed solinoids to drain the tank and connected the original dryers into the system.

Bearings went bad 'because we ran to slow'. THEY sized the machine for our use. Oil temp was set to low. Want to guess who set the oil temp?? Oh, and guess who got billed for the new bearings???

For my money, I would have dumped it in their parking lot!!!!!!

We have 95,000 hours on our ingersoll rand.

When we have the oil, and hoses changed the service tech was surprised at how many hours it had

+1

I ran two IR screws for years with almost zero problems...IMHO they are bullet proof. The latest one came in a sound proof enclosure...very quite.

Stuart

I'd put Kaeser at #1 on the list, everything else seems to be "settling for less".
But large screw compressors often come up at auctions, so there might be a deal somewhere in there.

We have a Kaeser variable speed system that maintains 90 psi. The idea is for the compressor to match the use of air and never shut off. It qualified for our electrical utilities energy efficiency program and they picked up over half the cost. It's worth calling your utility to see if they have a program like that.

Jake

I'll toss my hat in for Sullair. They make nothing but screw compressors and are damn good at it. We have ~25 of them company wide and they all work great. Some of them are pushing 25 years old. Their VFD systems are extremely quiet, and they do an excellent job once they are setup right. Our compressor tech worked at IR for a while and said they made great units but preferred the centrifugals to their screw compressors.

Back