What's new
What's new

Will someone in administration please ban this scammer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recieved this PM about an item I had listed for sale Don't anyone click on his link!

QUOTE=machinist12]Hello

I am very interested in your Item,
But first kindly click my link and log in
if there is anything you will like for trade

http://practicalmachinist.nut.cc/login.htm

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

you do know that you put your pointer on that link and read it before opening....1st clue is .nut.cc at login.htm...but you know its practicalmachinist.com not nutcc

The humanoid has been zapped....an email earlier alerted me.....unless it registered again ! Will check...:angry:

The humanoid has been zapped....an email earlier alerted me.....unless it registered again ! Will check...:angry:

Well.. some of us have heavier armourplate than others.

This is amateurish in its execution, but a potentially BAD one, nonetheless.

I have had a specialized browser show the directory of that site, capture the page-code as a text file, and can confirm that the "Lightspeed" httpd daemon was not even set up well-enough to conceal that, nor the login.zip malware file awaiting upload.

"Amateur" or no, the page linked to has, from a light once-over glance at the code - apparently had enough 'capture' work - stolen by 'ripping' from 'the real' PM - plus enough minor alteration in function done to it to:

- fake the PM login panel

- 'harvest' the loginID and Password of any member careless enough to visit it AND DO an attempted login.

- upload a malware infection, probably browser-targeted, not JUST WinWOES specific. And perhaps whether one logs-in or NOT.

So don't even GO there unless you are Wizard-class equipped and spring-loaded in the cranky position.

*sigh* Greedy little s**thooks....

God must have loved 'em 'coz she made so DAMNED many of 'em.

This one deserves having their server IP dropped right into the middle of the never-ending wars between several of the larger university student groups in Taiwan, PRC, and both flavours of Korea.

Those are forever and ever trying to hammer the living p**s out of each other's massive suborned botnets. Probably for no more motivation than lack of the price of drugs, BigMac's, or reliable access to genuine sex, any known variation thereof.

EVEN IF.. one has b/w throttled? Multiple billion attempts over 26 hours, last time they trifled can overflow the mount point for an average server's logs.

I'll leave a ration of 'justice' to younger folks, then...

Long past the time y'all learned how to protect yer own ass-etts.

I would never open a link like that. Usually they are chock full of surprises.

Surprises typically only lurk within Windows Operating Systems. :rolleyes5:

At least speaking for myself, I've yet to get a virus/trojan on Linux, and have yet to see my wife or kids get one on MacOS. When my wife had a Windows machine she was always getting some type of virus, her disk always needed to be defrag'd, just BS like that...she does the same stuff, uses very little software, watches Hulu/youtube/similar and does email. Can't remember a problem in the past 10 years for her on MacOS. Ran a mac-mini for 6-8 years (good value) and I upgraded her to an iMac 5k Retina display, she loves it. :cheers:

Surprises typically only lurk within Windows Operating Systems. :rolleyes5:

At least speaking for myself, I've yet to get a virus/trojan on Linux, and have yet to see my wife or kids get one on MacOS. When my wife had a Windows machine she was always getting some type of virus, her disk always needed to be defrag'd, just BS like that...she does the same stuff, uses very little software, watches Hulu/youtube/similar and does email. Can't remember a problem in the past 10 years for her on MacOS. Ran a mac-mini for 6-8 years (good value) and I upgraded her to an iMac 5k Retina display, she loves it. :cheers:

It's true that Mac OS and Linux systems are generally virus-free.

I never liked MAC units for no good reason other than Steve Jobs' ego and the fact that when I was in school, I simply couldn't afford one. To this day, they are very expensive.

I hear glowing reports from people such as yourself about Linux all of the time yet relatively few people are using it.

For myself, I prefer the support I get with PC units, especially with Windows 10. I also like buying turn key machines at low prices.

With careful use, picking up virii, malware and adware is a rare event. I seldom have an issue, but when I do, with the software that I use, problems are quickly resolved and it helps that I never click on odd links as I mentioned.

The main reason that Mac and Linux OS's are seldom bothered, is that the numbers of users are too low for the makers of malware to bother. They like to go where there will be big return and the large numbers of generally uninformed users often fall victim to their wiles.

I'm doing just fine with PC's after many years of experience with them. I see no reason to change now.

Last edited:
For myself, I prefer the support I get with PC units, especially with Windows 10. I also like buying turn key machines at low prices.

You get support with Windows machines?? My experience has not been so good ... unless you count all the times I've had a phone call from someone claiming to be from MS, claiming to have detected a problem in my PC, and eager to help me "resolve" the problem. I generally play along for a while, but when I just can't seem to find the "Start" button on my Linux machine, they generally hang up on me. :)

I did have one caller who, when I finally mentioned that I was running Linux, not Windows, attempted to smoothly switch right over - "Yes, that's right, we're calling about your Linux machine." I hung up on that one!

By the way - not disagreeing with you, Newman. I have to run Windows at the office, and with appropriate care, practicing safe computing, I've not had any problems - ever. And I totally agree about the cost of Macs, plus when I have to use one, I just don't like them; to me they seem harder to use ... but then again, I'm the sort who wants to get under the surface and do things my own way, not be forced to do it the way the OS demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back