What's new
What's new

Winchester Arms machine tool auction

Sorry, but it's sad to see an old company like Winchester closing doors on a plant. I'm assuming they have more than one, but if not this is even worse news. My first real gun post 22 cal. as a kid was a 30/30 Winchester.

One part of me certinly agrees with several of the above comments regarding the sad demise of Winchester and its associated history. But, IMHO they got what they deserved by not being true to their (former) position as the premier firearms manufacturer in the country. They tried to be something else (as in cheaper) and wound up without a customer base.

The last centerfire rifle I purchased was a Mod. 70. Had never owned one before. After living with it for a while, I understood why their sales were poor. That rifle is so totally ordinary that it has absolutely nothing about it to recommend it over any of the competitions offerings. So, why should anybody buy one?

I also recall that Winchester was very late in adopting modern production machinery. I recall a mid-70's or so American Rifleman article about the Winchester plant, with photographs, and it was astounding. The production machinery was incredibly ancient. Most of it was old enough to have voted for Lincoln. That article came out just before they went into receivership--the first time.

From their web site:

For Immediate Release -- January 17, 2006

U.S. Repeating Arms Company To Close New Haven, CT Facility -- U.S. Repeating Arms Company, maker of Winchester brand rifles and shotguns will close its New Haven, Connecticut manufacturing facility. Many efforts were made to improve profitability at the manufacturing facility in New Haven, and the decision was made after exhausting all available options.

Effective March 31, 2006 the New Haven manufacturing facility will stop manufacturing the Winchester Model 70, Model 94 and Model 1300.

Winchester Firearms will continue to sell and grow its current line of Select Over & Under shotguns, the new Super X3 autoloading shotgun, the new Super X autoloading rifle and Limited Edition rifles. The company also plans to introduce new models in the future. There will be no change in Customer Service.

This action is a realignment of resources to make Winchester Firearms a stronger, more viable organization. Winchester Firearms plans to continue the great Winchester legacy and is very excited about the future.

"This action is a realignment of resources to make Winchester Firearms a stronger, more viable organization. Winchester Firearms plans to continue the great Winchester legacy and is very excited about the future."

Translation: Surrender all hope, the bean counters are fully in control.

"This action is a realignment of resources to make Winchester Firearms a stronger, more viable organization. Winchester Firearms plans to continue the great Winchester legacy and is very excited about the future."
Why companies bother with such BS statements like that is beyond me. The only folks dumb enough to believe it would be too busy tuning their hipop sonic boom sub woofers in their Civic and wouldn't be reading the source in the first place.

IIRC, the Highwall/low wall's manufactured in Japan will still be availabe.
From the same plant as Browning (I think)

Yep, was all downhill after they went to the bolt thingy.Lever was acceptable in 73,76,92,95,71 versions.
(owner of ten single shots)

kenh, you probably would say that when they stopped making the Winder Musket to build the Model 52 it was the beginning of the end for the folks @ Winchester.....

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!! :D

Those strange bullet projecting devices with the hand crank on the side to flush them and the ones that you play like a trombone will never catch on. Give me an original high-wall and a place to stand on my hind legs and shoot like a man and I'm happy.

Regards,
Green Frog

Back