What's new
What's new

WIP organizing trays

countryboy1966

Hot Rolled
Anyone have a source they are willing to share that carries both cheap and higher end organization trays? I am looking for better organization for parts coming off machine that go through multiple operations.

It's going to depend a lot on what size/shape the parts are. For small parts, egg flats are hard to beat. It's easy to count the parts and they don't get damaged.

Uline is often a good source for trays/boxes/etc. They sell divider boxes that you can move the dividers around to make whatever size/number of sections you need.

For small parts - egg flats, larger with a hole - a board with nails or wood dowel pegs etc etc, (I use those a lot) Larger parts with no holes - plywood trays I make myself, or McMaster Carr do plastic jobbies McMaster-Carr

Another option is a wood tray to take a known number of cardboard boxes or trays, etc etc etc

Plastic cutlery trays are another option - house ware stores can be fertile hunting grounds.

FWIW I don't think there's a perfect system, it's a case of whatever works for you.

Thanks guys. I have been searching those areas and have not found what I am looking for. I have 4 trays from a supplier that has since gone out of business that I would like to find in varying sizes. No markings on the trays... They are constructed where they appear to be thermoformed, but look to be cheap enough to be throw aways and makes sense when my customer gave them to me with my order.

Wondering out loud, any vacuum formers in your area ?

IIRC SurplusJohn wrote of getting packaging from one cheaply, the forms
are simply stacked plywood, and are inexpensive to build.

A google search of the cleveland area pops up several prospects.

Machine Shop Component Parts Shipping Trays - Engineered Components & Packaging LLC

To give an idea of what I am looking for. But I need in a few different configurations. Plywood/pegs or something to that concept as described previously might be the ticket though.

This is embarrassing, but I have to share it. I spent 4 hours looking for a $50 part last night because with out it, I can't finish a $600 sale-able assembly. I know.. but I'm a one man band so this is a big chunk of opportunity for me. The part is lost because the part was oily and I didn't want to get my only trays oily. I was trying to store everything with organization in mind.....an as a result, it is somewhere I don't remember....I need better organization discipline.

I make good use of plastic take away style containers, there dirt cheap, come with lids and are reasonably strong, any time there could be anything from 2-20 of em with parts in stages of different work in progress. What i really like though is there stackable, so for small assemblies as the next bits done they just get piled up, just makes it effortless to keep track of stuff, there also clear enough you can see through them. Customers do take the piss since the local Chinese also started using exactly the same ones, but I was first!

IMHO stackable and with sealed lids are definite plus features, but you also have to pick a size that suits your parts.

I make good use of plastic take away style containers, there dirt cheap, come with lids and are reasonably strong, any time there could be anything from 2-20 of em with parts in stages of different work in progress. What i really like though is there stackable, so for small assemblies as the next bits done they just get piled up, just makes it effortless to keep track of stuff, there also clear enough you can see through them. Customers do take the piss since the local Chinese also started using exactly the same ones, but I was first!

IMHO stackable and with sealed lids are definite plus features, but you also have to pick a size that suits your parts.

I'd forgotten those Adam, .......BOTOH us Norfolk boys aren't rich enough for takeaways.

^ I bough a rather large qty of em Whole sale Sami. Thats empty tubs not take aways. Think they were under £10 a hundred or so with lids, enough to make it a no thought required purchase, still got probably about 1/3rd of them. They tend to last well unless you drop them or drop something on top of them, then they shatter. That said, despite thin plastic, even delicate aluminium bits seam to be unharmed with a fall of a bench when contained in them with the lid on. Not that i ever knocked a customers parts on the floor then stood on them of cause!

But Sami.....if you buy them from the Chinese restaurant:
1. They deliver them, you just ring them up.
2. They come with food.

Business expense, the containers, food is "Incidental"

Possibly Doug, but apart from 4 fish and chips shops (who don't use those containers anyway) , there's not a single take away within 20 miles who's product I'd risk putting through my digestive system

Possibly Doug, but apart from 4 fish and chips shops (who don't use those containers anyway) , there's not a single take away within 20 miles who's product I'd risk putting through my digestive system

Risk putting through or would stay there long enough to get digested sami?

Back