What's new
What's new

wiring a gorton mill

cardman

Plastic
Hi guys i need a little help with wiring a Gorton milling machine to a static phase converter. The mill is 2 hp and was wired for 240 volt 3 phase, and is equipped with a magnetic switch and overload heaters my problem is the heater are cutting power to the machine it only runs for 30 seconds or so before the reset button kicks off. Do 3 phase motors draw more amps on static phase converters ? and could i just bypass the heaters all together ?

Check the voltage across each pair of the three legs going to your motor. You will see that they are not the same. If one pair is higher than 240 V, it will cause one of the original overloads to trip. A VFD will provide power much closer to real three phase, and the VFD will have its own overload protection, so then you can eliminate the old overload relay.

Larry

VFD really is the way to go. You also get variable speed. Static converters work but they have a lot of drawbacks. Rotary converters are a better way to go. As has been said you always have a phantom phase that is lower voltage. The overloads(heaters)are probably sized for full three phase. You could up the heaters but you would not really be protecting the motor in the best way.

The others have answered about the heater issue, but your Gorton will run a lot nicer on 3ph power. I love my Gorton 1-22 mill, and have it on a good RPC.

VFD really is the way to go. You also get variable speed. Static converters work but they have a lot of drawbacks. Rotary converters are a better way to go. As has been said you always have a phantom phase that is lower voltage. The overloads(heaters)are probably sized for full three phase. You could up the heaters but you would not really be protecting the motor in the best way.

I plan on upgrading to a vfd, but for now ill just bypass the heaters, I mainly work on small parts and soft materials anyway. Thanks :D

The others have answered about the heater issue, but your Gorton will run a lot nicer on 3ph power. I love my Gorton 1-22 mill, and have it on a good RPC.

How loud is the head on your Gorton? Mines the same model, runs smooth on high gear but low gear makes a racket especially on the the highest speed. What grease do you use ?

Back