What's new
What's new

sheet metal slip rolls

scojen

Stainless
Good morning All,
I have a request from our production department for a manual sheet metal slip roll that will handle up to .125 aluminum strap and plate not over 6" wide. In other words a small light duty machine. While I am considering making one I just wanted to check and see if anyone knew of or had seen one about this size. Yes I did do a rudimentry search on the web but have not seen anything even close.

Scott

Last edited:
You didn't say if the machine would "pay for itself", so....

Do you have a horizontal mill sitting in a corner?

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...tal-into-bar-angle-roller-220954/#post1526788

2253-horizontal-mill-ring-roller.jpg

The best rollers are "four roll", which is a top/bottom pinch roller setup, with outboard rollers:

Capture-300x232.jpg

A good discussion of roll types:

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rolls-4/rolls.html

OK, while a powered roller would be nice it would be impractical for the application as I said the thickest material is .125 aluminum the width need not be more than 6". The final product is a medical orthodotic, aka shoe braces hip braces and the like. For a better idea visit our website
Orthomerica Products, Inc..
I would love to have an old KT horizontal in the corner however I woud tie it up with other projects than bending plate in the past I spent many an hour running one when I worked for the Navy. Alas the old days are gone.

Scott

Tennsmith makes a 24" 20 gage roll in the USA-
Tennsmith Slip Rolls at Van Sant Enterprises, Inc.

Di-Acro does, indeed, still make a 12"-
Hand operated slip rollers, slip roller | Di-Acro | Lake City, MN
also in the USA, not cheap.

Grizzly and Jet sell cheaper, Taiwan and China rolls.
You get what you pay for.

Generally, sheet metal rolls are rated for 20 gage or 22 gage in the 24" size.
There are rolls made that will roll 1/4" plate- but they are rare in narrow sizes, and expensive.

But 1/8" aluminum should work in a decent 20 gage roll.
I wouldnt try it on the 12" grizzly, but I have done it on my 36" Tennsmith, no problem.
And that is a 22 gage roll. Narrow pieces- not full width.

Look at some of the jewellery ones, they would probably hit that capacity and width in the larger sizes.

Jewelry rolling mills are only two roll machines, intended to reduce the metal in thickness.
They arent made for curving metal.

Otto Frei, the big jewelry supply place, might sell a tiny set of 3 roll rolls, but I doubt something that small would have the guts for 1/8" x 6" 6061 aluminum.

I have one of the Diacro 12" rolls and must tell you that it is a very nice little roll while I have not done 1/8" aluminum I would think it would handle it .Bill

Scott -

I have an older model of the Di-Acro 12" rollers with 2" diameter rollers (identical to the one pictured on the Di-Acro website, except that mine has a slightly different cast iron base). It needs some repair to the right side mounting where the upper roller release bar is (the yellow thing in the Di-Acro photo). It is missing the release bar assembly itself, the handle (the large yellow handle in the Di-Acro photo, currently available for $145 on Ebay), and needs repair (brazing?) of the pivot mount for the release bar. Otherwise, it is in good condition. I will sell it for $175 plus shipping (zip 78209). Since you considered making a roller, I think you could easily repair this one. If not, parts are available from Acrotech. PM me if interested, and I will email photos tomorrow.

A.T.

Although there may be some small company in germany or italy, I am unaware of anybody making a heavier set of rolls less than about 36" wide.
And generally speaking, any rolls intended to roll full width thicker than 16 gage are powered, and the prices jump quite a bit- a 48" x 12 gage power roll is gonna be north of five grand, and weigh 1200 pounds or so.
36" x 1/4" rolls are more like 2500 lbs and up.

Back