What's new
What's new

6 Jaw Set Tru chuck?

Mac308

Plastic
Im looking at 6 jaw set tru chucks. I understand Bison isnt made in USA anymore? Is there another brand that is going to be a good chuck but cheaper? Or just go with a Bison?

Casey

Bison chucks have never been made in the USA. Perhaps you are thinking about Buck chucks? Buck chucks were made in Kalamazoo and IIRC there is still a chuck company called Kalamazoo Chuck. I would consider the Kalamazoo chuck first, then Bison and Buck last if I were buying new today.

Steve

I would have to assume Cushman is also made in some far away place. I am not so sure about Kalamazoo. Unless you have a special need for a six, I would go with a good quallity four or my preference a four jaw independent scroll. Kenny

OK I'll bite, what's a four jaw independent scroll chuck look like.

Phil:)

I would have to assume Cushman is also made in some far away place. I am not so sure about Kalamazoo. Unless you have a special need for a six, I would go with a good quallity four or my preference a four jaw independent scroll. Kenny

Just yesterday, I made some eccentric parts on my Reischauer (Swiss, I think) 4-jaw combination chuck. It was adjusted to center when I started the job. I put a sample part in the chuck and then moved the four independent jaws until my indicator showed the eccentric portion had no runout. Then I used the scroll to chuck up a new piece of drill rod. Cut the eccentric portion and on to the next part, etc. The chuck made the job very fast, though I could have done it in a conventional 4-jaw with only a little bit more work.

I have several of these chucks, including one or two of German-make still new in the box. One way to think of them is that they work like an Ajust-Tru, but you only move the jaws to get them on center, not the whole chuck body. Once centered, they repeat as well as any scroll chuck. The combination chucks also have greater range of adjustment, without getting horrible unbalance. They come in 3-jaw and 4-jaw versions.

Larry

Back on topic for just a moment, I wouldn't have any problem with the Bison. I have a Buck (original made in USA) and a couple of other USA and English chucks and they are nothing special compared to the Bison (made in Poland). I have a few Bisons and they are about as good as you are going to get without paying with your first born.

I have only owned one Bison adjustable 3-jaw chuck, which I bought new from MSC. It was well made and poorly designed. Most adjustable chucks have four adjusting screws at 90 degree angles. You loosen one screw and tighten the opposite screw until the indicator is showing near zero runout. But this Bison had the four screws at odd angles, like an X instead of a +. You had to loosen two screws and then tighten the two opposite screws, trying to guess how much to loosen each of the two screws to get the chuck body to move in the direction of low reading. It was much more difficult to adjust than my chucks with equally spaced adjusting screws. Otherwise, it was a good chuck. I replaced it with a Pratt Burnerd Setrite, with the four equally spaced adjusting screws. Maybe by now Bison chucks have been redesigned to correct the flaw I experienced.

I have several PBA Setrite 3 and 6-jaw chucks, with L00 and Hardinge adapter plates. I like them much better than the original Buck Ajust-Tru chucks, mainly because the PBA are steel and the Buck are cast iron body.

Larry

Last edited:
Anyone one tried an interstate chuck? good, bad?

"Interstate" sounds like the sort of name some US dealers apply to all their imported goods from companies that do not actually have their own known brand name. I remember that Production Tool used to call all their Taiwan (this was before China goods were available) imports "National" brand. The items did not say National on them; it was just a name in the Production Tool catalog.

I did a search and see that Interstate is an MSC brand, and the picture of the chuck looks like a BTC Chinese copy of a Buck. I would guess it is just a generic Chinese copy, with cast iron body. The same chuck can be had with a steel body, called Gibraltar. It may be a perfectly good chuck, as some Chinese stuff is well made. Or not.

Larry

Back