What's new
What's new

Witzig & Frank Radial Arm Drills

pez

Plastic
Hey guys,

I'm looking to increase the drilling capacity in my shop, which until now has relied on a MT3 press and one of the mills with a quill. I've been looking at radial arm drills, as they seem to be more affordable with the current trends in the industry.

There are quite a few of the traditional style units around up to about 4ft, but I have also seen a German Witzig and Frank which is very different. Instead of the normal fixed round column it has a column that raises/lowers and a square beam that slides through the top of the column that holds a gear head.

Has anyone used/had experience with this style of radial drill? It looks like it may be a better fit in my shop but I don't want to waste time if they're junk...

Also similar style to a Danube DR 32 by google searching..

12782.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm looking to increase the drilling capacity in my shop, which until now has relied on a MT3 press and one of the mills with a quill. I've been looking at radial arm drills, as they seem to be more affordable with the current trends in the industry.

There are quite a few of the traditional style units around up to about 4ft, but I have also seen a German Witzig and Frank which is very different. Instead of the normal fixed round column it has a column that raises/lowers and a square beam that slides through the top of the column that holds a gear head.

Has anyone used/had experience with this style of radial drill? It looks like it may be a better fit in my shop but I don't want to waste time if they're junk...

Also similar style to a Danube DR 32 by google searching..

View attachment 214490

I take it you mean " Donau " . They're the leader in that drill style field. They are excellent drills but they come with a built in table to mount the work on.
I don't know much about Witzig & Frank.

Regards Tyrone.

In the end I passed on the w&f - not really maintainable and the footprint is less suitable for my shop. Picked up a traditional 4ft radial and it’s working a treat.

I actually looked into it a bit, there are patents available. They seem to have eight rollers, one per face of the beam at each end of the support. Not sure how they control freeplay or lock...

I actually looked into it a bit, there are patents available. They seem to have eight rollers, one per face of the beam at each end of the support. Not sure how they control freeplay or lock...

Quite a few conventional radial arm drills have a roller arrangement guiding the drilling head on the arm. The rollers are usually on eccentric studs so you can adjust them for free play on the head.

Regards Tyrone.

Back