What's new
What's new

WNMG boring bar in a boring head?

shott8283

Plastic
My boring head for my 40 taper mill has 1" tool capacity. Have a job to bore some axle spindles for an off road shop. The only bar i have that is 1" diameter is a WNMG 432 bar.

Is there anything saying that I shouldnt use that bar in a boring head? Ive never seen it done nor have I tried it.

Most of my boring heads have 3/4" holes, but sometimes a 1/2" bar suits better. So I also have some 3/4" OD split sleeves with a SS flat to go in 3/4" holes, bored to take 1/2" & 3/8" bars. You can sleeve the 1" hole down the same way.

Make/bore a steel bushing, put a flat on the OD so the burr from the SS does not cause it to stick, slit it on the bandsaw, and bob is your dad's wife's brother.

Or buy a set of 1" shank bars.

I'[m not fond of neg rake for boring. For small holes, you may have to verify the heel on the insert you propose is not dragging (I don't know)

smt

Trying to imagine the futility of a negative rake insert in a boring head. :rolleyes5:

I'm trying.
Yet if you drive a car the holes in the cylinders, con rods, brake cylinders, crank, and cam bores got punched in by guess what?
No way,...... negative inserts, millions of parts with micron tolerances, How can that work, ....it's just wrong.
Welcome to my world where a tenth penny per part in tooling counts big.
Bob

The high positive negative inserts work just fine, i like the HA chip breaker from Korolly in a WNMG. No more a vibration risk than most positive inserts, because, well it is a positive cutting insert! Just in a negative form!

WNMG in a 3/4 bar 12" out didnt work well.. it wanted a lot of DOC and i wasn't gonna give it. went to a TPG style fat stubby, and had to fumble fu*k around with the knee about 700 times. job done, cash in hand, customer happy.

The high positive negative inserts work just fine, i like the HA chip breaker from Korolly in a WNMG. No more a vibration risk than most positive inserts, because, well it is a positive cutting insert! Just in a negative form!

Exactly.. The material doesn't know or care how the insert is sitting in the holder, it only knows what is tearing through it..

I could only click "like" once... This also seems like a home shop board argument... "But its a negative insert" :rolleyes5:

Waiting for somebody to say carbide isn't "sharp".

LOL, not to detract from CarbideBob & Bobw’s posts I remember using a 12” Flynn boring head that took 2” bars & had no trouble with the negative geometry… 12” bar had 8” sticking out & could use horsepower pretty well.

Jib crane handling only for that puppy & it was still a pain in the butt. When stuck on a 4 or 5" horizontal spindle with plugging motor or DC injection stop even at moderate RPM’s pushing the stop sounded like a trane crash. Ahhh, the good ‘ol days...

Good luck,
Matt

Exactly.. The material doesn't know or care how the insert is sitting in the holder, it only knows what is tearing through it..

I could only click "like" once... This also seems like a home shop board argument... "But its a negative insert" :rolleyes5::D

Waiting for somebody to say carbide isn't "sharp".

but, it isn't sharp..

Back