What's new
What's new

concave section on 1.25 AL tube

Randy in Atlanta

Aluminum
I would like to put a concave line long ways on a 1.25x.035 a tube (2024)AL
without distorting the rest of the tube. I would like to use a 1.5
radius depression to a depth .125" maybe.

Anybdy done this?

We are looking at 18-28" runs.
I have some ideas but don't want to waste a bunch oh material

Thanks
Randy

Not that exactly, but all my experience of forming and manipulating tube tells me to use a shaped mandrel whilst fully supporting the outside part of the tube that is not being formed.

Clarify here... 1.25x.035... is that .035 wall thickness? If so, and you are going to through cut to a depth of .125 from the outer wall, it's not going to leave much in the way of support. As Sami says, serious fixturing to avoid snatching and chatter.

Clarify here... 1.25x.035... is that .035 wall thickness? If so, and you are going to through cut to a depth of .125 from the outer wall, it's not going to leave much in the way of support. As Sami says, serious fixturing to avoid snatching and chatter.

I think he wants to form a "trench" in the tubing Mike.

It would be intersting to see what would happen if you simply placed the given legnth of tube in a hydraulic press brake and hit the button. I figure with a typical 90 degree form die and anvil, there would be a place were the sides would start coming back together and recreate the original dia. if not a little distorted.

:cheers:

"I would like to use a 1.5 radius depression to a depth .125" maybe."

.125 deep in a tube with a 1.25 OD and .035 ID is not an issue, practically solid stock. Depth of .125 in a .035 wall is .090 through. Now, if he wants to leave a .125 WIDE trench, I can see that, but that's why I asked for clarification.

I am not sure I understand the dimensions, but one idea would be to roll the groove in, would take some experimenting. Keep in mind a custom extrusion. die would be maybe 1600 bucks, material in small runs would be a premium, maybe 6 to 7 bucks a pound. Short run extruders, will run 10 pounds if you want.shortrunsaldeca.com/

Back