What's new
What's new

Workholding long piece on Bridgeport, oldschool

I am trying to doing something that is probably simple to an experienced machinist, and would appreciate any advice.

I have an old school bridgeport with a 39" bed and x-axis power feed. I am trying to clamp a 30" long piece of bronze flat bar so I can mill a continuous profile down the length of it. Really just a continuous rabbet that travels along the length.

What is the best method for workholding? Do you set up a number of vise clamps in a row or is there a longer vise clamp available or something else entirely?

Thank you
Andrew

A picture of the part would help. I am using my imagination in the following. If your bar is half or less wide as the table, I would strap-clamp it to the table. If you need to access the full thickness, prop it up with the edge overhanging on some uniform-thickness blocks,such as cheap 1-2-3 blocks. I am guessing you will need at least five clamp points, depending on the part size and cut size. You will have to either move the part or swivel the turret and ram to access the full length of cut. If you have to make more than one part, set up some blocks as edge stops so you don't have to re-indicate the part when you move it. If your part has holes in it, use them for clamping if you can.

if there's enough clearance , i'd just use regular step blocks and serrated strap clamps. is your machine 39"
x travel , or table length? if it's longer than one pass - you can either reposition the part or move the head
to reach the end of the part. i'd clamp a few parallels behind the part after i indicated it straight. when you
run out of travel unclamp the part , slide it over .reclamp and finish the cut . if the part is thin and springy
clamping on a length of barstock over the part might help .

good luck.

Back