What's new
What's new

WTB Small drop of 1015 Steel

crij

Cast Iron
Hello,

I hope someone might have a few small pieces of 1015 around. I need to make 2 sets of calibration standards for some ultrasonic thickness gages I recently purchased.

I need a piece (or pieces) big enough to measure 0.500, 0.750 and 1.000 thick and it needs to be the same or larger width. Think 3 disks 1" diameter by 0.500, 0.750 and 1.000 thick or a stair case 1" wide with 3 landings.

At the Ct Eastern RR Museum in Willimantic, Ct we have a steam locomotive where we need to map the boiler before we do the cosmetic restoration (mapping the boiler is when you take thickness measurements every 6" in a grid pattern and record them to find thin spots), in between all the other projects:willy_nilly:. One member donated a thickness gage, but was stolen last spring (along with a bunch of small tools):mad5::angry:. So recently I found an old professional grade gage, that didn't have a standard for calibration, and a second modern mid-range the owner couldn't get to work (ended up being a simple fix).

Here is what she looked like in her heydays:
Baldwin small.jpg

040a_256.jpg

Saddle tanks are on site and in decent condition, just not mounted.

From material tests we know the barrel of the boiler is 1015 steel and around 5/8" thick so I need the standard(s) to measure above and below the known thickness. The 1" side is in case the back head or crown sheet are thicker than 3/4". I know 1018 should be close enough but from what I have been told the FRA and the state boiler inspectors prefer to see the calibration standards match the material you are measuring (in case we plan on doing a full restoration, which a few members would like to see:drool5:).

Thanks all,
Rich Cizik
Ct Eastern RR Museum
Willimantic, Ct 06226
Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum

I have never heard of 1015 steel as a readily available item. You could probably find some 1018 or 1020 that is really close.

Per ASTM A29,

1015 steel has .13-.18% carbon and .30-.60% manganese
1018 steel has .15-.20% carbon and .60-.90% manganese
1020 steel has .18-.23% carbon and .30-.60% manganese

Back