What's new
What's new

A miniature machining project from 12 years ago...

rivett608

Diamond
Here is one of old projects that I finished 12 years ago.... it is a scale model of an Architects Classroom circa 1900....... it is in 1/12th scale and about everything works.... the tables are cast in white bronze with steel parts.... they tilt and lock with a cam mechanism, they raise and lower, the casters swivel and turn and they even have the makers name (me) cast in raised letters in the bases........ there is a lot of detail in this thing..... the waste baskets each have 1020 solder joints, steel wire with tin solder...... the sets of drawing instruments have rules engraved on ivory, etc, etc..... this took me about 2000 hours. It has been in magazines all over the world and is on display at The Toy and Miniature Museum in KC..... check out this on their web site and notice that you can click on the hot spots for more detailed pictures...... they are going to change the site soon so I thought I would post it...

http://web1.umkc.edu/tmm/room11.html

arch1.jpg

arch2.jpg

arch3.jpg

That classroom is the crown jewel of the museum I'd say. I couldn't imagine attempting such. Enjoyed seeing your other work while milling around there also.

WOW

The drafting tables are amazing. I also like the blackboard details and the window details. I wish there was a better picture of the blueprint making machine.

Cheers,
Bob Welland

Thanks guys...... Bob, here is the back corner with the print making stuff.... all this is copied from the plans in Oscar Perrigo's book on factory design, circa 1905.... also from that are the cabinets along the wall and paper rolls with sliding scale and tear bar.... you could roll out the paper and tear it off to the desired length....... the black board details are taken from Asher Benjamin's text book on architecture.... it was one of the standard texts of the day...sorry about the poor photos... these are from old 35-mm slides that were scanned.

arch4.jpg

So how can the rest of us mortals now go out and face our shops?

I have to ask, though, is there an answer to the question "why?" Was it a commission, or did you just wake up one day and decide that this was missing in your life? Or did it just snowball, from making a particular item?

Early drafting studios fascinated me at an early age, too. I went through making solution, coating the paper & drying it in the dark, then making (true, white line on blue background) blueprints from an inked drawing in a frame under heavy glass set in the sun.

Keep posting your work. After the initial demoralization wears off, it provides great inspiration. And it is all so beautiful.

smt

Simply fabulous.
2000 hrs? I could not accomplish it in a couple of life-times!

rivett....

I remember seeing this in a magazine years ago, and was very impressed then, and it was one of those things that had always stuck in my mind.

I have always abhored the "Thats good enough" mentality that is all to often displayed by tradespeople these days. You set an incredible example of what truly fascinating things can be accomplished if you take the time to care, and learn your trade well.

Reading and seeing it in a mag was one thing, but to be able to give credit for such fine work to the person responsible is also very rewarding.

Outstanding!!

Don...., thats another huge reason this forum is so interesting.... I am a newcomer, but I have really enjoyed this forum, and I hope that whatever changes are made regarding its structure / advertising etc.... do nothing to inhibit less experienced ones like myself from learing from people like rivett...

Simply incredible workmanship!!

This is the kinda stuff i love, Miniature modelling.
When i looked at the 1st picture, I thought thats a real full size classroom.
To me the ultimate in Miniature modelling is when you can fool the viewer into thinking that he/she is looking at the real full size thing.

Been into Railway modelling for many years on and off and plan on starting again with miniature house modelling soon.
I would love to learn the techniques and tools you use.
In the process of gathering tools.

A question on the making of small parts
What is the preferred method for small flat parts?
Electric Discharge machining or Etching or just milling.
And what is best (if there is 1) type of Casting?

Very lovely work Rivett608 :cool:

Guys,
Bricks on the outside of the building!

There has been more than one shop problem recently where I was frustrated and then I thought about those tiny spinning machines and I realized that there isn't much that can't be accomplished if you are determined. The project I have been working on at the day job and at my shop has been 5 yrs in the making and we are finally finished. :D Many a night I would log on here just to unwind! ;) Too bad I didn't find PM sooner. Rivett, have you ever thought about a PM tour of your shop ? Apart from the incredible craftsmanship of your work I would love to be able to watch a bit!

Ted

As someone once said, "God is in the details." Superb. I have always been a "detail" hound and its little things like the waste paper baskets that make this project really shine. Even the wall colors are right. Thanks for showing it, and please show more!!!

Absolutely incredible. I am stunned.

I was just trying to read the date on a coin from my pocket and was thinking about how bad my eyes are getting.

Do you use magnification when doing such work?

Hi Rivett- I have the actual 3 legged drafting table that you made as a scale model. You told me once how you did the curved legs. Would you be willing to describe to the forum how you recreated them?

fantastic as always

Markus

Back