benrobuck is offline Plastic

Default Piper L-21 Homebuilt project

I found this interesting. Evidently all the copyrights on the Piper Super Cub expired and you can download the blueprints for the military version.

http://www.supercubproject.com/default.aspx

http://www.supercubproject.com/drawings/

peterh5322 is offline Diamond

I am reminded of a ca. mid-1950s series in Mechanix Illustrated magazine for a home-built.

I even attended the local, to me, Lincoln Jr HS, now Lincoln Middle School, summer classes in metalworking, and the Santa Monica CC classes in aircraft welding.

It was, perhaps, apropos that Douglas Aircraft Co was, then, HQed at Santa Monica Field. It later moved to Long Beach, for the DC-8 program, after the very successful DC-6 and the not-so-successful DC-7 Seven-Seas programs.

The welding classes, there, featured the same Victor J-27 torches which were, then, so very much in evidence at Douglas.

I would, gladly, pay for a single PDF which includes ALL of the Super Cub prints and documents.

Better, yet, on a CD-ROM.

Hootie is offline Plastic

I flew in a home built kit plane today, a Vans RV-6. Felt like a fighter jet. The same guys have started building another plane called a Skyote(sp). I think it is a scratch built.

benrobuck is offline Plastic

All of the aluminum alloy designations in the prints are obsolete. I know that 24S-T is now 2024-T3 but what is 35-1/2H? Where can I find a conversion table between the old designations and the modern aluminum alloy designations?

jonesg is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by benrobuck View Post
    All of the aluminum alloy designations in the prints are obsolete. I know that 24S-T is now 2024-T3 but what is 35-1/2H? Where can I find a conversion table between the old designations and the modern aluminum alloy designations?
    contact the EAA homebuilt association.

bbiggs is offline Plastic

There is a company called "Wag Aero" who will sell you a set of plans for a "Sport Trainer".
    It is the J-3- PA-11 -PA18 Super Cub replica
    it uses the lycoming engine (or continental) and I believe they have a supplement for the military version.

You can buy just plans.

Wag-Aero's Wag-A-Bond Kit Plane

Bill
    A&P-IA (aircraft airframe & powerplant mechanic-Inspection Autherization)

Bryan27 is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by peterh5322 View Post
    I am reminded of a ca. mid-1950s series in Mechanix Illustrated magazine for a home-built.

I even attended the local, to me, Lincoln Jr HS, now Lincoln Middle School, summer classes in metalworking, and the Santa Monica CC classes in aircraft welding.

It was, perhaps, apropos that Douglas Aircraft Co was, then, HQed at Santa Monica Field. It later moved to Long Beach, for the DC-8 program, after the very successful DC-6 and the not-so-successful DC-7 Seven-Seas programs.

The welding classes, there, featured the same Victor J-27 torches which were, then, so very much in evidence at Douglas.

I would, gladly, pay for a single PDF which includes ALL of the Super Cub prints and documents.

Better, yet, on a CD-ROM
    Northland Aircraft

North Land Aircraft - Suppliers of Piper PA-18 Super Cub blueprints and the PA-18 L21 Manual I don't have the plans, but from what I've read of others experiences with them they are great.