What's new
What's new

07 FFL list or directory??

bTanZ

Plastic
i'm hoping here on Practical Machinist, or perhaps elsewhere, someone may be able to point me toward a list or directory of 07FFL machine shops.

we have been kicking around an idea (top secrete of course) for a while. I have the capability to build all of our specialized tooling, fixtures, etc. as well as build the 1st prototype here. Early 'low volume' production requires some machine work on serialized non NFA part and may be best to outsource while we assess the market and desire to scale in house.

any help identifying 07FFL machine shops (manual or CNC) would be great....???

Nm I found it. Was browsing on my phone. Guessing you want to go out of state.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NY presently but have no preference on location.....what are you thinkong??

i'm hoping here on Practical Machinist, or perhaps elsewhere, someone may be able to point me toward a list or directory of 07FFL machine shops.

we have been kicking around an idea (top secrete of course) for a while. I have the capability to build all of our specialized tooling, fixtures, etc. as well as build the 1st prototype here. Early 'low volume' production requires some machine work on serialized non NFA part and may be best to outsource while we assess the market and desire to scale in house.

any help identifying 07FFL machine shops (manual or CNC) would be great....???

Hopefully you have a tax stamp in order to be able to receive the manufactured item from the 07.

Anyways, it's a pretty easy find on their website: Listing of Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) - 216 | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

thank you...i have had little success finding any good info on the government site...ill check out your link.

tax stamp?? i'm new to this but if i (a 07FFL) is outsourcing frame work to another 07FFL machine shop and it's not an NFA regulated part .... what tax stamp??

thank you...i have had little success finding any good info on the government site...ill check out your link.

tax stamp?? i'm new to this but if i (a 07FFL) is outsourcing frame work to another 07FFL machine shop and it's not an NFA regulated part .... what tax stamp??

Sorry, apparently I can't read so good in the mornings.

I was making a stab at NY's gun laws there with going out of state. I know someone who does this kind of thing and might be interested in this. He's a Mechanical Engineer and has also designed and consulted for other manufacturers in the firearms industry on top of manufacturing. Shoot me a PM and I will pass along his info.

You can use any machine shop that has the appropriate manufacturing license for what you are looking for. They would need to submit paperwork for a marking variance to put your information on instead of theirs. After that is all approved and the parts made, they can be transferred to you the way you'd bring in any other firearms or NFA items.

thanks guys for all the guidance!! i posted this same query on a hand full of 'gun forums' and got a bunch of garbage reply. I appreciate the sincerity, willingness to help and the PMs from a couple of you.

i'll have to figure out how to turn 'updates on' for this thread so i'm not late to see when you guys comment! ... as this project matures i'll come back with an update!!

thanks guys for all the guidance!! i posted this same query on a hand full of 'gun forums' and got a bunch of garbage reply. I appreciate the sincerity, willingness to help and the PMs from a couple of you.

i'll have to figure out how to turn 'updates on' for this thread so i'm not late to see when you guys comment! ... as this project matures i'll come back with an update!!

Gun forums are infinitely different than GunSMITHING forums. For questions like this, you can also seek out silencer/suppressor makers and places that tend to have a more 'gunsmithing' mindset beyond your average AR15 builder who thinks that makes them a gunsmith. I don't know how it is now, but Sniperhide used to be a forum with good information. One I used to visit more often back in the day was WeaponsGuild. Silencer forums like SilencerTalk and... I think there's another... used to be full of good info and many FFLs. Visiting places with NFA manufacturers will help separate the wheat for the chaff even if your answer is strictly about GCA, non-NFA firearms.

You might want to study up on the subject some.

Depending on the part they may or may not need to be an 07.

Depending on the part if they are an 07, you will want to make sure they are up to date with ITAR.

Depending on the part you will want to make sure YOU are up to date with ITAR.

As a tool & die maker, I used to have my 07. I never had an issue with the ATF. They were happy to help, spent hours on the phone with me when I wanted to argue specifics of what I was allowed and not allowed to do. Always courteous and knowledgeable. When they DID NOT know something, there was no bullshit. They said they did not know and then spent the time to give me a well crafted and documented answer.

I dropped my 07 after one phone call with ITAR. A bunch of complete idiots who barely know what planet they are on. Their "definition of manufacturing is less stringent than the ATF" (quote from their literature). Anything you do to a gun is considered manufacturing. If you make any part of a gun, it is considered manufacturing. Point of fact, 90% of the machine shops on practical machinist are in violation of ITAR regulations and are required to register.

So, to re sum up what I was trying to say.

Do your homework. Cross your T's and dot your I's. Make sure all your bases are covered in case you receive that phone call or surprise visit.

Point of fact, 90% of the machine shops on practical machinist are in violation of ITAR regulations and are required to register.

That's the damn truth. It's really screwed up just how broad ITAR can apply. Business can only continue to operate normally/practically by continuing practices that would be in violation if anyone cared. All it takes is one bad day for you to come under scrutiny and someone slap ITAR violations on you - and you're ruined. Violations for doing the exact same thing any other comparable manufacturer does.

Just like that Defense Distributed prick who drew too much attention and got his website taken down. All because he had some shitty POS 3d printed zip gun and the CAD models online. As if everyone couldn't immediately go and fine AR15 CAD files anywhere on the net.

thanks for the heads up ... in prior roles whole departments were responsible for ensuring ITAR compliance. On this prospective 'solo' venture its sure to be a PITA

Back