What's new
What's new

12 gauge gatling

colin_the_celt

Plastic
been thinking now for a while about a 12 gauge style gatling gun, are ther any sites online tht id be able to get dwg, dxf, or solid models of the cam system, barrels ,carrier , and the locking cylinder, this is only aa hobby for me and it prob wont be used to fire, just wondering if it can be done. any of your tips on such a project would be great thanks

Well...

Colin- if you actually built it to be suitable for firing (and I can't see a reason why you wouldn't), I'd like to see it fire...

...but I wouldn't want to be anywhere nearby...

So take a good video, and post it on Youtube!

I have had the same idea - I had accumulated a bunch of 12g barrels and receivers from the JC Higgins BA shotgun recall and wondered what I could do with them. One thing you need to consider is if it would be considered a destructive device by the ATF. The Streetsweeper shotgun, once available over the counter is now considered a destructive device and requires the tax stamp. Maybe a wheeled version would get around those restrictions but that is something you would have to take up with the ATF. It would be an incredible bit of firepower though.

Its been done by someone here, maybe the member will chime in.....

I started on a conversion for the 1919a4 sometime back but because of more pressing work that makes money it ended up on the back burner .

Might be easier to build a simple array of semi-automatic shotguns on a rack and thread a cam shaft through the trigger guards attached to a hand crank. Depending on the alignment of the cam lobes it could fire in salvo or sequentially or sequential salvos.

I made one several years ago but sold it. I made the wooden wheels and all. The magazine held 23 rounds and it had 6 barrels made from 1.25 by .75 DOM tube chambered with a Clymer chamber reamer. The bolts were made out of 1" grade 8 bolts turned down and firing pin hole drilled and case hardened in the rear with Casenite. Each barrel was threaded 1-1/4 left hand bolt thread with lengthening nuts to adjust the headspace for each individual barrel since each bolt was made for it's particular barrel. All lettered to match. I didn't have the convenience of a milling machine so the Dremel got a workout. The gear mechanism came out of a '24 Whippet car I believe and the hand crank from a butter churn. I don't have any plans as I did it all as I went. In the last picture you can see a bearing running against a slanted cam type thing. Each bolt moved along that until just before it fired, then the case hardened end of the bolt slid along several hand files that were welded together and brazed to the cam. The rate of fire was about 120 rounds a minute. My only flaw was that the extractor didn't have a strong enough spring and when the chambers got dirty the empty cases would stick and jam the unit. The entire gun was made from metal we had laying around the shop, mostly irrigation pump pieces such as column pipe, oil tube, bronze bushings and head nuts.

Here's some pictures.

Jim

Attachments

• Picture-2 011.jpg
    Picture-2 011.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 2,909
  • Picture-2 003.jpg
    Picture-2 003.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 9,071
  • Picture-2 009.jpg
    Picture-2 009.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 5,044
A few more picts.

Jim

Attachments

• Picture-2 005.jpg
    Picture-2 005.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,983
  • Picture-2 004.jpg
    Picture-2 004.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 3,184
  • Picture-2 013.jpg
    Picture-2 013.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 3,757
  • Picture-2 010.jpg
    Picture-2 010.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,878
luv the pic's jim, did it take to long to build it

It took roughly 6 months to make the gun, and 1 month for the wooden furniture. I test fired it in my shop with black powder loads. I suspended a plastic barrel filled with rags and pointed the gun at it and started cranking. The smoke was so dense that I couldn't see that the barrel had separated from the rope and fell to the floor. About 5 or so rounds went through the wall and impacted into the steel wheel of my '36 F-20 tractor. The loads were shot so it didn't hurt much except the wall it went through.

Jim

Back