What's new
What's new

1911 drawings in PDF format and deal on stripped slides

alcosteam

Hot Rolled
I found this link while searching online for 1911 drawings, it has been asked in other posts about finding drawings for the 1911. The drawings are based off the 1911 as originally adopted by the military but so far I have found them to be spot on for a 70 series build. Nice thing is you can zoom way in and print small portions of any page for critical details.

http://www.m1911.org/M1911-A1_REDUX.pdf

I had bought a parts kit that someone had originally bought thru Sarco and it came with on of their new slides in carbon steel. At the time all I could find was a stainless frame casting and after starting to machine it I decided I really wanted a stainless slide to go with it. I almost bought a stripped SS slide off G/B but ended up finding the same slide for close to half the price from the original source. These folks have both carbon steel and SS slides. The only gripe I have about the SS slide I got was their polishing of the sides had gotten up into the matte finish of the top, easy fix though with a quick taping off of the polished areas and about 1 minute in the bead blaster it looks about perfect. If you figure 35-40 dollars for the internal parts you need to finish a stripped slide it comes out far cheaper than just ordering a drop on name brand. My only real dislike on the slide is the Bo-mar sight cuts, mainly because I had already bought Kimber style Trijicon night sights so it just means I will have to build another 1911 to use those.

Stainless steel - 1911A1 Slide, Stainless Steel, stripped [1911-A-2] - $90.00 :: AK Parts kits - Superb Products

Carbon / Parkerized - 1911A1 Slide, Carbon Steel, stripped [1911-A-1] - $80.00 :: AK Parts kits - Superb Products

tim

+.005 is the tolerance allowed on that slot otherwise the slot is supposed to be .040 wide.

I made the slot with a very thin woodruff key cutter although I had to cut down the shank abit to clear the frame.

So far I have really only hit one snag and that is the recess in the frame for the sear that has to be cut from the bottom side and the cut starts on an angled surface.

For the most part I have bought all carbide or cobalt tooling for this project and will keep it separated from other general tooling so when I do another frame all I have to do is grab the 1911 tooling and go to town.

tim

Those are the best prints I have ever seen. Thanks a ton.

They would be great for finishing these castings:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gunsmithing/fs-60ish-1911-castings-204733/

Please not that the price on the first post is from the orginal batch of frames i got. the current batch went up $5 due to increase from the manufacturer.

$75 each and shipping is $5 for quantities of 1-4. quantities 5+ is $11.

thanks
Caspian

Back