What's new
What's new

Fuses for toy cannons--your opinion please

stuball48

Stainless
I have built a couple small cannons and bored the barrels so they will shoot 1/4" ball bearings but have not fired one, yet. I lack fuses and where is the best place to get fuses for a black powder cannon. I have checked several websites and there seem to be plenty of them just wondering if fireworks stores who stays open 12 months a year have fuses in stock?

cupcake sprinklers......those little peices of wire covered in black stuff that you stick in a birthday cake.

It even looks like the cannons on loney toons.

I use the fuse from bottlerockets in the small ones and 1/8" cannon fuse in the larger ones.

Cannon fuse is availible at gun shops. A little large for your ap. DO use blackpowder only!!!!

I, understand "black powder only" and making this one for my nephew who is 62 and loves muzzle loaders. Have read just abut every article concerning black powder and toy cannons on this site and it has been very helpful plus downloaded a page of safety tips when working with toy cannons and black powder.
I will look for the cupcake sprinklers and check with local gun shop. Thanks to you both.

check your local gun shop.
Mine, admittedly, is one of the best gun shops around-
http://www.kesselrings.com/servlet/StoreFront

but they stock fuse, usually in 2 different speeds.
Not the cheapest, as they sell it by the foot, but discounts on fuse are in multiple hundred foot rolls, and there are hassles and expenses trying to ship it- easier to let a professional shop that does it every day source it for you.

Many gun shops either have it, or can get it.

I'd suggest only genuine cannon fuse - available almost everywhere that black powder stuff is sold. The real stuff is consistent. The stuff used in fireworks often is not.

GsT

Taking me back to my experimental fireworks days (yes it is legal) You can actually make cannon, really called visco fuse, rather easily with very consistant results. I am alittle leary to post it here, so either pm me or do a google search.

Be safe,
zkling

madokie:
Just looked them up and they are about 2 1/2 hours NW of me and looks like a very interesting place to visit. Plan on giving them a call. Thanks for the information.

Hi, (I also recomend cannonfuse.com) On .250" bore cannons I have made the touch hole 1/16" in dia. then drill 1/8" dia. to a depth of about 3/32". Just enough to push in a paper match head in and it captures the match head about half way in. Now light the top of the paper, when the match flares, ignition. I did this as a kid not able to get fuse and still use it on small cannons. Of course it will not work if it is windy or the barrel wall is too thick. (on thick barrels I make the 1/8" dia bore part deeper so I can put in a few granules of BP to act as a booster from the match flash, works fine) I would like to warn that "jet-x" fuse mentioned above is not safe for other than intended use, don't ask how I know. have fun beech

Jetex fuse

I would like to warn that "jet-x" fuse mentioned above is not safe for other than intended use,

Jet-x fuse ( or Jetex) was intended for small rocket motors that used a pellet of material that produced high volumes of gas. This gas escaped out a hole in the metal Jetex motor, thus acting like a rocket to propel model airplanes, boats, and cars.

THIS IS A DANGEROUS FUSE TO USE FOR CANNONS. It has a small copper wire as a core, with the fuse compound attached to the wire (probably dipped).

If you use Jetex fuse, when the cannon fires, the small piece of copper wire will be expelled from the touch hole at high velocity by the burning of the Black Powder. This could puncture your hide, eyeball, etc.

DO NOT USE JETEX FUSE FOR FIRING CANNONS!

Jet-x fuse ( or Jetex) was intended for small rocket motors that used a pellet of material that produced high volumes of gas. This gas escaped out a hole in the metal Jetex motor, thus acting like a rocket to propel model airplanes, boats, and cars.

THIS IS A DANGEROUS FUSE TO USE FOR CANNONS. It has a small copper wire as a core, with the fuse compound attached to the wire (probably dipped).

If you use Jetex fuse, when the cannon fires, the small piece of copper wire will be expelled from the touch hole at high velocity by the burning of the Black Powder. This could puncture your hide, eyeball, etc.

DO NOT USE JETEX FUSE FOR FIRING CANNONS!

Actually this is a good warning for all fuse.

The wire is similar to the brass tube expelled when using friction primers.

Green cannon fuse, quill, friction primer or Jetex fuse all expel hot debris. When firing cannons always plan for this. Know where the debris will fall and clear that area of spectators and flammables. If firing Mortars be sure and use a shield.

Back