What's new
What's new

1911 Frame and Slide

mwarren1999

Cast Iron
I tend to deal alot more with production CNC applications or I work for a company that sell CNC equipment.

With that said, I would like to try my hand at building my own 1911. For my 1st, just a more simple Govenment model. I am not looking to machine a frame. Would rather just buy a frame and slide, then modify it where needed to what I want using more simple hand tools.

Anyone here make frames and slides or know a low cost place to buy parts considering this will be my 1st. Not looking to put alot of money into the 1st. Just want to give this a try myself.

Sarco has semi-finished frames and slides.
Other places have finished frames for under $100. Slides are similarly priced.
Lots of good info over at the DIY Gunsmithing forum.

I have not been able to find one under $100. The closest I have gotten is a:

Government length match grade blued frame w/ smooth front strap. Manufactured by RemSport, a primary contractor of custom 1911 accessories. Fully-forged frame, from a solid 416 stainless billet and then CNC machined and hardened to close, rigorous tolerances (Rc 26-30). Top rails are cut to maximum dimensions and may require final fitting to slide. Frame has a .250" grip radius cut, is machined for standard and non-ramped barrels.Not for sale in CA, DC and NY State. Sold AS-IS. FFL Required.

This is about $175 with shipping. Then maybe another $30.00 for the FFL.
I might have $200 in it, but this is about the best I have found.

Should I buy this, or wait?

I'd wait

here's what I bought

DOUBLESTAR 1911 Stripped Frame for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $97.00

Mine did not come from Bud's, but it was a Doublestar.

here's an Essex for $152, less if yu get their discount:
ESSEX ARMS : Blued Essex 1911 Auto Receiver (285-000-002) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

From another site: "Sarco has the kits, but you have to call, ask for the parts department, and then get the 1911 kit with slide ($150-160). They also have Brazilian slides for $50 each. "
Download Sarco's current Shotgun News ad and see what they have, then pick up the phone.

I don't suppose you saw the "discontinued by Brownells" in red letters did you?

I don't see why they don't delete them, if there not going to sell them anymore.

I missed that, but of course Bud's was Out Of Stock.

I don't know why the $100 frames are hard to find right now.
They were fairly plentiful a year ago when I was looking.

don't buy from sarco. The company is fine but the 100 dollar frame is exactly that. It will more than likley be undercut or have some knarly machining marks that you will be cursing at for days. I had a guy bring me a roto barrel and slide from them. The slide was undercut and never matched the frame. It cost more to fit up the barrel in time than it would if he bought a barrel from kart or clark. The barrel was already rusty. Get the essexs frame, they are nice for the cost. Just my thoughts on it

I have heard that about Sarco, but I've been completely satisfied with the purchases I have made from them. I bought several 80% receivers, and a bunch of 1911 and AR15 parts.

Thanks for the help. I guess it will just boil down to what I may find in stock. Not that I am going to be too concerned about finish, but should I consider stainless steel?

What frame and slide materials are easiest to fit?

Foster Industries has good deals on frames, i got 2 officers ss frames on sale for less than 100 each. They are Caspian blemish frames, or contract over-runs. The ones i have were over runs, and there are no blems on mine.

Foster Industries has good deals on frames, i got 2 officers ss frames on sale for less than 100 each. They are Caspian blemish frames, or contract over-runs. The ones i have were over runs, and there are no blems on mine.

Thanks for the help. I actually just spoke to Seth. He did have a couple frames under $100. However, I actually got sold UP to stainless steel.

For a frame and slide with extractor it will be well under $300 delivered. From my looking, I figured this was a pretty good deal for both the slide and frame. I will let you guys know how it looks when it arrives.

You will be very happy with the Caspian(Fosters). Not only are their products top-notch, the people are even better. Just my 2 cents.
Dennis

I have not been able to find one under $100. The closest I have gotten is a:

Government length match grade blued frame w/ smooth front strap. Manufactured by RemSport, a primary contractor of custom 1911 accessories. Fully-forged frame, from a solid 416 stainless billet and then CNC machined and hardened to close, rigorous tolerances (Rc 26-30). Top rails are cut to maximum dimensions and may require final fitting to slide. Frame has a .250" grip radius cut, is machined for standard and non-ramped barrels.Not for sale in CA, DC and NY State. Sold AS-IS. FFL Required.

This is about $175 with shipping. Then maybe another $30.00 for the FFL.
I might have $200 in it, but this is about the best I have found.

Should I buy this, or wait?

I missed this before Blued stainless?

I missed this before Blued stainless?

I did not go with the blued. Should have, but just opted for a SS slide and frame they had stock. However, both arrived and look great. Far better than I expected for the money.

I also machined a couple with a friends help.

no problems fitting the barrel, I did have to buy a reamer to fit the bushing though. I used a storm lake bull barrel. The frame is a Foster (caspian blemish), and the slide is a caspian. I ended up buying a couple hundred in hand tools to fit everything.

I will have to keep the bushing in mind then.

So far all the parts seem to be drop in for the frame I received. Hardest part will ofcoarse be the frame and slide fitting, then minor adjustments to fit the barrel. On top of this, the matching the trigger components will be my only other concern. All easier said than done I guess, but really the frame came in and all parts just dropped in when I did some checking the other day.

no problems fitting the barrel, I did have to buy a reamer to fit the bushing though. I used a storm lake bull barrel. The frame is a Foster (caspian blemish), and the slide is a caspian. I ended up buying a couple hundred in hand tools to fit everything.

I see we are neighbors, we could exchange notes sometime. I just finished #5.

SANY1300.jpg

SANY1299.jpg

Back