What's new
What's new

1911 Front Sight Install-Need To Make A Rectangle Hole

Terry Z

Cast Iron
Fixing a modified 1911 slide back to stock. The front sight hole was ruined so had it tig welded up. Now I need to put the rectangle hole back in. How would you suggest I do this? EDM is my last option $$$, I have this one only I am fixing for a favor for a friend. I do have a Bridgeport mill to use.

drill/mill out as much as you can and finish with a square needle file. Shouldn't take too long. Blocks on either side of the work can help keep the file square to the work if you need.

Drill the two start holes for the small part of the tenon. Alternatively, just use a 1mm end mill and walk it around to rough the slot that actually goes through. Follow up with the proper keyway cutter to create the remaining part of the feature. Grab a .625" x .062" and grind the thickness down to .056". ( Check those dimension. My memory is old on this. ) If you use a die grinder with a ball shaped wheel it will dish the face to give you some relief. Not that I've had to do a number of them, mind you. :rolleyes5: It's a fairly common issue. Good luck. Don't sweat it. It's actually easy and takes but a few minutes.

P.S. - agree on just Silver Soldering it and being done with it. Swaged tenons suck.

Fixing a modified 1911 slide back to stock. The front sight hole was ruined so had it tig welded up. Now I need to put the rectangle hole back in. How would you suggest I do this? EDM is my last option $$$, I have this one only I am fixing for a favor for a friend. I do have a Bridgeport mill to use.

I would use a small file. Don't be afraid of some hand work, will take time, but less material out.

Back