What's new
What's new

1911 Stainless castings FS

Caspian

Hot Rolled
These are 17-4 Heat Treated SS.

The trigger, grip safety, and magazine are not included. They are pictured to demonstrate that they will drop in with little to no fitting.

Price is $100 shipped regardless of quantity. No PP, MO only
Shipped USPS Priority with tracking

e-mail: caspian45 (at) sbcglobal (dot) net for info or ordering.
NOTE: I am not affiliated with Caspian, nor are these from Caspian. I chose that screen name long before i got into these. I will look into changing my screen name to avoid confusion. These are castings and fall below the threshold of being a completed receiver, therefore, no FFL. No international sales.

1911a_zpsdc20977e.jpg

1911b_zps1d5e3d88.jpg

1911c_zps74274ea9.jpg

1911d_zps3ccf4e59.jpg

NOTE: I am not affiliated with Caspian, nor are these from Caspian. I chose that screen name long before i got into these. I will look into changing my screen name to avoid confusion.

Please don't. You've been around a long time and we know who you are. Just add the disclaimer as necessary.

Hey, at least you didn't pick some stupid handle that got embarrassing after a few years...

Still have a bunch for your summer time projects. E-mail is best, caspian45 (at) sbcglobal.net

thanks
chris

time to get rid of these. $80 shipped. I have a bunch. please see e-mail above for quick replies.

thanks
chris

Why do these things always pop up when I'm dirt broke? I am unfamiliar with finishing the 1911, what level of tooling is required?

you need a decent BP type mill and some skill in set up and might need a special ground cuter or 2
and you would need a good set of drawings

These frames are not easy to finish. I bought one and another was given to me for free by a guy that thought he would finish it on a drill press. There's a lot of work just to dimension these.

These only have the mag release on them, and even it is not complete, only one side is. There is no cross pin hole which most all the dimensions on the 1911 are based on. This is not to mention, 17-4 stainless is not easy material to work.

The slides that Chris sells are just as incomplete, and I screwed one up by cutting the slots about .040" too low before I knew exactly how to measure them...it's easier just to buy a slide anyway.

I have yet to see any of these finished. If someone has one finished I would love to see it. I have 2 of them dimensioned with the rails cut, they need a lot of layout for the rest of the holes. These are not dimensioned to thickness, nor is the center pocket centered. A surface grinder would be preferred, but I did it with a face mill and carbide inserts, then lapped the side on a surface plate with wet/dry.

You really need Kuhnhausen Vol. 2 at minimum...the 1911 is a complicated firearm, firing pin is cocked at 4 degrees, as are the lugs on the barrel and slide. Barrel bed needs an 18mm ball end cutter, but one could improvise on that. Both the safety and mag release have an interesting cut that requires two different end mills and the correct angles to get correct. Trigger pocket needs quite a bit of work also, as does the mainspring housing as there are no slots or holes for that either.

The main reason I haven't finished the 2 I have is that I ended up buying a frame from Tactical Machining to relieve myself of much of the pain in the layout. ;)

Again, if someone has one of these frames that they finished, please post a pic, I'd love to see it. You will have my utmost admiration.

That said, there's a lot of very talented machinists on PM, and I'm certain that many of them could do this if they had the ambition. There was a guy here that milled one from a billet, but it was out of aluminum (lowcountrycamo).

That takes me to a login screen. I'll register later, I don't have enough time right now.

Out of curiosity, what do you estimate the percentage of people finishing these frame for the amount you've sold?

Just curious...in the past I've seen people on PM buying 5 of them at a time. I've never once seen any pics posted of any finished.

Has anyone finished one on PM ?

That's a good question. but i don't follow up and chit chat with people who have bought them. There are more threads on Weapons guild of folks who have finished them. I would think the skills of folks on PM is higher than weapons guild. Nothing against them, but most of the folks here are career guys who do it for a living rather than hobbyists on WG.

As Traditional Tools kindly noted I milled a frame from 7075 and a slide from 4140 and I have hundreds of hours in them. Possible, but a real desire must be had to finish one. I believe these castings would give you a head start. Much more complicated than a ar15. The most fun I've had in the shop.

20150716_140703_resized.jpg

Back