What's new
What's new

20mm vulcan rifle

Black beard

Plastic
I'm in the proses of building a 20 mm rifle im having pacnor make the barrel thought. I was going to have m2hb threads on the barrel so I could take it off.8tpi 60 degree pitch. I'm machining the bolt and barrel extension and receiver im going with bill holms design but making every thing larger what do you think of the threads I'm using for ease of removal any suggestion's

well ya. im a class 2 manufacturer of 20+ years. I know the laws really well. my good friend is atf. so that being set aside what threads do you think would be the best. anybody is welcome to respond.
thanks tom

Since the 20 mm is probably(?) a larger diameter case, you might want a larger diameter thread than that on the 50 BMG M2hb barrel. That way you maintain adequate chamber wall thickness at the minor diameter of the thread. Just throwing that out for consideration.

excello

Are you planning to use electric ignition or the old style? Do you have a source for the ammunition, or are you building for a custom cartridge? Just curious. Regards, Clark

I have a torch cut off 20MM barrel about 3' long. I've thought about making a FLINT LOCK African rifle from it. But,the rifling twist is likely too fast for round balls.

African game!

I don't think my barrel was ever fired as the rifling is immaculate. But,I am too old to want to get the Hell kicked out of me ! My left shoulder hurts every day. In my teens I twice tore all the ligaments loose in it. I am left handed.

When you see those guns(there was a double barrel percussion, too. You know why they always wanted a gun bearer!!

Making a large caliber muzzle loader is legal.

Isn't there the 20mm anti tank rife from ww2 Lahti L-39 might be a good starting point

cannons are fun

"PRE" WWII. Russo-Finnish war. When Rooshin tanks grew armour thick enough to obsolete it, the resourceful Finns switched-over to using them as long-range sniper rifles to rather effectively wax Tank Commanders sitting above their turrets. Right difficult to just 'wound' anything with a 20 mm round.

"Game of Thieves" author Robert Rosberg details the use of a surplus one to shoot open a vault, one round after another, during a notoriously pricey robbery, USA.

"Vulcan" round is considerably hotter, BTW.

Monarchist,
What would a private citizen, or anyone else, want with a Picasso?

I've seen his work. Jackson Pollack as well.
I think the four-deuce has more class and greater redeeming virtue than either.

Renoir and Monet are more to my liking.

Then again, that's largely a matter of taste, and most of mine is in my mouth, so...

:)

Meahh... not so sure about that.

WTF would a private citizen want with a four-deuce mortar anyway?

Why the F wouldn't you want one? Sounds like fun to me! There are a fair number of mid size ( say, 20mm thru 90mm artillery and anti tank pieces legally owned and fired by private citizens. More power (powder) to 'em, I say !

Regarding large bore muzzleloaders - what are you not so sure about ?

There are plenty of legally fabricated / owned muzzle loading black powder cannon and mortars out there. The Feds allow it. If your state and local regs allow it - go for it. Burning big gobs of black powder is fun !

excello

Thanks for all the feed back just finished the bolt lockup in the barell extension pretty difficult but I like that mike Remo at anzio told me the barell has to be removable because the rifle is so long 6+ feet. so head spacing it with a dummy round is the way to go. I'm use to doing m2hb in the field no big deal for a 20mm I'm also doing a requoil unit on a tripod thinking ahead

Why the F wouldn't you want one? Sounds like fun to me! There are a fair number of mid size ( say, 20mm thru 90mm artillery and anti tank pieces legally owned and fired by private citizens. More power (powder) to 'em, I say !

Regarding large bore muzzleloaders - what are you not so sure about ?

There are plenty of legally fabricated / owned muzzle loading black powder cannon and mortars out there. The Feds allow it. If your state and local regs allow it - go for it. Burning big gobs of black powder is fun !

excello

"Fun"? Guess that began when the comforting-even-in-your-sleep night-long 'thump'.....'pop'.. of OUR four-deuce firing illumination rounds was reversed..

..and we had 120 mm Chicom-built "INCOMING" that had not really been in our plan for that particular day.

You can have my share of that sort of 'fun', thanks.

As to why I'd not expect it to be 'legal'?

A couple of competent and adequately pucker-factored - read "highly motivated" four-deuce teams can stop an armoured column in the remains of its own tracks. Gravel-agitator's up close and personal Div-Arty, a four-deuce unit is. It is that much of a pee-bringer.

Thanks for all the feed back just finished the bolt lockup in the barell extension pretty difficult but I like that mike Remo at anzio told me the barell has to be removable because the rifle is so long 6+ feet. so head spacing it with a dummy round is the way to go. I'm use to doing m2hb in the field no big deal for a 20mm I'm also doing a requoil unit on a tripod thinking ahead

I might think you are a tad nuts, but wot the hey..

"Tough job, being that way, but somebody has to do it!"

... lest Daesh end up with better sniper rifles than our side has..

:)

well thanks monarchist for the honesty. I hear that all the time tom your f------ crazy. because I always want to build big powerful stuff. I was thinking of a 37 mm cannon but no to big for now.

Back