What's new
What's new

Gun Law Expires?

roninboise

Plastic
What are the ramifications of the Gun Law Expiring this month?

Does this change all that pre-ban/post-ban silliness?

Can we now thread semi-auto barrels?

Ron in Boise

It expires tomorrow at midnight.

You can install bayonet lugs, thread barrels, use pistol grips,install collapsible stocks and hopefully not long from now, buy cheap high capaclty magazines.

Get ready for mass murder big time in every city in the UNION especially now that we can't see them since the killer will have flash suppressors and the really evil part, OH my god I almost can't say it, the evil I said evil bayonet lug, now crying bo hoo!!

Being a habitual murder and all, that assault weapons ban was really cramping my style. But now that thumb-hole stocks are leagal again I can get back to the killin'. I was ok with the murder rap, but breaking a firearm law? I had to draw the line there.

I'm using the repeal of the law for my own supremely evil purposes. I'm going to be building 1/2 scale Maxim and Vickers guns similar to the Tippmann Browning guns done by Eric at Lakeside guns. I was waiting for the sunset to justify the design for production, especially with the belts being available again. Two years of trying to buy belts left me with just one used example donated by a friend.

It's going to be a while as the Gardner is still making it to production, but I poke at the design when things are going badly in the shop. Gives me something else to focus on.

Hmmm...where am I going to find time to take over the world?

And they may again this time if the government bozoes again try to solve the "gun problem" instead of the "murder problem."

Donie,
Those $200 AKs never went away...mechanically. They put a different stock on it and called it a MAK 90. Just like almost every other semi-automatic gun, the exception being the high end Belgian, Swiss and German designs. Other guns were simply tooled up for and built in the US without the evil bayonet lug or flash hider. Eventually even the HK and FAL series were tooled up for here and are currently in production.

The ban's greatest impacts were economic. A $200 Thompson L Drum became an $800 item. The Tippmann belts were going for $2.00/pocket IF you could find someone to sell you one. Most importantly, it completely changed the economics of the guns themselves.

I remember when a $200 AK would sit on a store shelf for months. Suddenly, "They're going away" and people who would never have bothered, decided that they had better get theirs. Demand up, prices up. Lots of guns going to people who aren't willing to ALSO take the time to learn, care for and be safe with guns. And finally, the real kicker....they are now expensive enough to justify BUILDING YOUR OWN!

Parts kits are reasonable and you can EASILY see how talented the machinists on this board are. Building a gun out of some pipe and welding it (STEN) takes about 6 hours. M-16 Receivers can be CNC'd in about a day for a one-time piece. AK's require some folded sheet metal. There are even groups like this BB that are dedicated to CNC machining of interesting gun receivers and they do some pretty nice stuff.

The only real impact of this thing sunsetting is the availability of high capacity magazines again. New Thompson drums are being made, as well as the Tippmann belts. I'm making some seriously evil magazines for a miniature Nordenfelt gun and for my Gardners. I may have to sneak in a Broadwell or Accles drum for a future Gatling. Don't panic, the world didn't come to an end.

Joe

What concerns me is the really cheap Chinese weapons getting in the hands of the methanphetamine addicted youth that are around now.
After the ban, even the thumb hole stock stuff dried up at the gun shows.
I go to gun shows but I like the old Colts and Winchesters. Not interested in the availible killing power.

Don

Well there is a solution to all this supposed killing that is going on and it is CONCEALED CARRY!!!
I lived in colorado springs and you could carry openly if you wanted and you could also carry concealed and all the crooks know it so the crime and killing rate in colorado springs is not very high. Think about some of these killings at different plants around the country, if people could carry a gun these morons would not be able to kill 10 percent of the people that are being killed now because guess what these A-HOLES would be being exterminated before they could do their dirty deeds!!!

Read the law Don. The ABW just dealt with the cosmetic features of the gun, like bayonet lug, flash suppressor and a magazine of over 10 round capacity. It had no effect on function or availability of the "banned" guns. The rules with respect to importation of certain firearms are still in effect.

Donie.
This law DID not stop illegal importation read smuggling of weapons from China. I can go to a certain place and get a illegal brand new Chicom AK47 for 450 with ammo. That is full auto. The only people the law affected were those that went to gun stores.

Most of us here know where we could buy illegal imports just as many of us could easily make our own full auto's in a few hours.

The difference between us and them is that for the most part, gun owners in this country obey the law even though they don't like it.

Forget the fact that it would be almost impossible to get caught with an illegal import or that it would be even more unlikely that the Government could bring a prosecutable case. We still obey them because ...It is the Law.

That may change soon but for now, we can still say that we tried our best to work within the system.
The end of the AWB was a good start and to be honest, it woke a lot of American gun owners up. Maybe next year we can get rid of the import bans if Bush will get his priorities straight.

Yes anything can be had for a price, I could also make anything of metal.
I think its counter productive for these cheap import weapons to flood the street again. It will only enrage the public and cause future problems.
Some how gun rights has gotten caught up with greedy importers of this stuff.

Don

Can't really put too much blame on the importers; if no one wanted to buy them, they wouldn't be importing them. That's how capitalism works.

Back