What's new
What's new

22 cal silencer drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstevenj

Plastic
Could anyone give me a link to a drawing of how to make a silencer for a 22 cal rifle.

I will assure you that it will only be used for plinking. My 12 year old son is really into guns and 007 gadgets. I would like to make a silencer for our 22 to play with. I have mill and lathe.

Thanks, Steven

Uh Steven,
Are you aware that this is highly illegal?Like FEDERAL TIME?
If you jump through the hoops you can make one but it has to be registered with the Tresuary Dept. and it is a lot of hassle.

My advice? Shoot cb or bb caps.They are really quiet and legal.I'd hate to have the kid see Dad in handcuffs etc. over something like this.

My humble opinion,Robert.

Hmmm..007 gadgets eh ? How 'bout a rotating liscense plate mount or oil slick ejector ?
wink.gif

jstevenj said "My 12 year old son is really into guns and 007 gadgets"

Don't know how long the display runs, but I was in Dearborn 2 weekends ago and the featured display at the Ford Museum was 007. Probably because Ford now owns Aston Martin. They were running the films in the IMAX theatre, and had a number of the cars and gadjets right on the floor. No guard ropes. Guns and stuff sticking out of the cars, you can walk right up and (surreptitiously) touch them if you're kind of cool about it.

I didn't pay a lot of attention, being too boggled by all the other stuff, expecially the steam engines from the 1700's and early 1800's. Some from around 1800 - 1810 had been in continuous use right up to the time Henry's agents bought them in 1929. At least one of these was a (that had been in continuous use) was a Newcomen style that worked on suction. Number of Boulton & Watt including early copy. There's too much to see for one day, unless you bring jogging shoes and really hustle.

smt

D Thomas wrote
"Hmmm..007 gadgets eh ? How 'bout a rotating liscense plate mount or oil slick ejector ? "
Now that stuff isn't illegal to make,just to use.
Don't forget the ejection seat too(if you have a roadster!).
Heck,we've already got in dash T V's,tracking systems and GPS direction finders so ol' Ian wasn't that far ahead of his time after all.
Robert.

Anyway, the 'shine runners (aka whippoorwills) in Thunder Road were using oil slick ejectors a long time before the 007 movies. Charles

Surprise, Surprise!

I am surprised that this topic of .22 silencers came up again.

Silencers are Bad, They are for those who want to murder someone and get away with it. They have no other use.

Anyone who has even a 9 inch South Bend has most likely been asked by some Doo Boo to make a Silencer.

I have had "friends" ask, they usually got demoted off my friends list for doing that. I don't even want to associate with people who harbor toughts of silencers.

Surprise No. 2 is that no one has mentioned the obvious solution to our original "customer's" problem.

That solution is the earmuffs that we all should be wearing at the range.

---along with te eye protection.

JimK,
I enjoy reading 99.9% of your posts.
smile.gif

"Silencers are Bad, They are for those who want to murder someone and get away with it. They have no other use."

However,knives and spears are sharp,pointy and quiet also,that does not mean they are made to only murder someone.

Links to several legal manufacturers of silencers with ownership info,etc...

http://www.advanced-armament.com/ownership.html

http://www.swrmfg.com/benefits.asp

http://www.gem-tech.com/general.html

[This message has been edited by Barry Briscoe (edited 10-18-2003).]

you could make a dummy supressor that looks cool but does nothing to quiet the weapon, this is perfectly legal as far as the feds are concerned (although with threading a muzzle section 922r needs to be complied with so you don't knowingly construct an "assult rifle").

Silencers are legal to have, but if I am not mistaken they require a background check and a $200 tax stamp. But that is only to legally own one, to manufacture you may need a Class 3 manufacturers license or whatever they call it.

JimK, you puzzle me in your thinking that silencers are for murdering people?
confused.gif

Sound dampening devices for firearms were created first by our own American Hiram P. Maxim! They were advertised as a gentleman's way of shooting, reducing sound levels out of courtesy for those around you. It is a common bit of misinformation that silencers are touted as murder devices. The whole reason for silencers being so heavily regulated is that poachers used them all too often to illegally hunt game during the Depression, so Gov heavily taxed and regulated them in the National Firearms Act of 1934, an Act which used the misdeeds of a few criminals to restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens. Like a poacher isn't going to find an illegal silencer somewhere (or make a one-shot motley from a pop-bottle).

Here's a good site from Finland, at least they don't live under fear of non-existant boogeymen killing them with silencers
biggrin.gif

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/Reflex.html

General G

A Gentlemans' Way of Shooting.

It Appeals to The Asters and the Vanderbilts no Doubt.

I have visions of a half dozen men in their Tuxedos taking leave of the ladies after dinner and ambling to the Drawing room where, instead of puffing Fine Cuban Cigars and sipping Remy-Martin, they commence Blazing Away with their Nine Millimeter Pistols, confident that there will be not the slightest inconvenience to the Ladies in the ajoining Music Room as they listen to the mose delicate Chopin Nocturn.

We should live in such an Ideal World.

General G defended my "silencers are bad" statement by bringing up the subject of poaching. Poaching is just the illegal "murder" of game, not Humans.

The object is the same, supress the report of the firearm so that the shooter's position is not given away.

Given away to Other People!!

The guy who wants you to drill out a Briggs and Stratton Muffler Wants to or is Harboring the Thoughts of Kacking Someone and getting away with it!

A Google Full of links or an Encyclopedic Tome full of Finely Crafted Verbage will not take the silencer out of the category of Assassin's Weapons.

Get Real! The silencer doesn't kill, it is there to let the killer go un detected.

I believe the government did the right thing. Those who Simply Must play with silencers can have them if they go through the proceedures. I'll be the First One to Cheer when a Federal Judge hands down The Hard Time to some rat-bastard coward who gets caught with an illegal silencer.

In an Interesting Irony, There was never a Maxim Machine Gun Company. Mr. Maxim made a much larger fortune by making silencers and there was and might still be a Maxim Silencer Company.

The "Silencers" in this case are for Huge Gas and Diesel engines.

Not shooting in the drawing room, to shoot at ranges and keep firearms reports (the sound of the gun going off) to a minimum for the sake of not annoying the people living near there.

Jim, to support your case, you should have no trouble at all in finding me statistics to back up your case in labeling silencers as murder accessories. I want US Stats on how many murders with firearms per annum, and how many of those murders were committed with a silencer attached to the gun.

"I'll be the First One to Cheer when a Federal Judge hands down The Hard Time to some rat-bastard coward who gets caught with an illegal silencer."

Suppose that Steven here on this very thread had acquired blueprints and made a silencer for his son's .22, oblivious to the fact it was illegal. You want that he should do "hard time" for that? You have no concept of what "hard time" is, pal.

And poaching can be done just as easily with one of the more powerful air rifles available UNRESTRICTED, or like I said someone can put a pop-bottle for a one-shot (poachers, or murderers only need one really)So your stupid NFA silencer law just put Steve in the big house getting it up the ass for a few years, away from his wife and family, and these "murder accessories" are still as easy to get as popping some quarters in a vending machine.

BTW, what did you think of that Finnish site?

General G

[This message has been edited by GeneralG (edited 10-20-2003).]

actually they are not silencers cause they dont silence. The suppress the sound and yes you can hear a 223 going off 150 yards away. up close it sounds like a big air rifle.

and they are legal and I may get one. Does that make me a murderer no it dont.

Guys...come on lets play nice!
I happen to think that suppresors are a GOOD idea for the shooter. NOT to go kill somebody, but to lesson the report of the weapon while shooting, for the enjoyment of all.

Yes they are given a bead rap in the movies... you know the bad guys always have them... BOO!!

Scary huh?

I think that for society, the NFA act SPECIFICLY relating to suppresors is a GOOD thing. Shocking I know
biggrin.gif

I would not like to see gang-bangers, or anyone wanting to do bad things with them!

I have been asked quite a few times, just as any machinist probably has. In one case the guy even HAD his tax stamp... He just wanted to buy the tubing from me. Not even machined. But I told him no!

I will not even be party to helping some one build one! Legal or not.

I would not like to see ANY form of jailtime. I am just a pretty white boy!! I would get torn up in jail! So no making them for me.

Now, I DO WANT ONE!! But when I do decide to PURCHASE it will be LEGAL! I will go thru the mother-may-I act of getting the CLEO to sign off on it, and then file the proper paperwork for it. Pay my $200 (maybe $400 if I get a full auto) and go happily down to the shooting range and have FUN!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by doug925 (edited 10-20-2003).]

To who it may concern, I know of several people that own suppressor, and it is very enjoyable to go out shooting with them.
They are not out to get anyone, they just enjoy shooting with there kids. So who ever thinks that owning a suppressor is bad. Not so. Get one the right way and enjoy shooting.

General:

The Asters in the Drawing Room scene is in jest.

I enjoyed the Finnish site. Cute Little Blond Boys shooting their silenced assult rifles. How utterly Scandanavian.

The Scandanavians, and for that matter, the Europeans in general are not as individualistically violent as we Americans.

Cute little Blond Boys over there won't Cap Yo' Ass if you interrupt them whilst they are Robbing a 7-Eleven. They don't rob stores with the style that we Americans have.

We have too many people of different temperaments and backgounds and agendas to "allow" some of the things that are done in Europe.

The same countries that have a liberal policy toward sound supressors on firearms have a correspondingluy liberal policy toward drugs, both the prscription and the recreatioanl varieties.

What's all right North of the Cattegat isn't all right North of the Rio Grande.

doug925's post says it all.

Statistical back up isn't necessary because the law is already on the books. The law was passed by people who knew what was happening and who were intelligent enough to make the law a fair one.

If someone wants a silencer, they can have one but the whole thing has to be On The Level.

My revulsion to silencers is my personal feeling. Murder is sadly common enough, I can't stand to see it made any easier.

Jim, I'll give you another chance at getting those statistics to back up the criminal suppressor theory of yours. Without those your argument doesn't hold a drop.

And as for Americans being more violent, that's thanks to the ghetto apes killing each other all the time. Even so, the UK still has more than x2 the per capita murders the US has.

General G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back