What's new
What's new

.22 lr gattling gun plans

clutch

Hot Rolled
All the plans I see for gattling guns is for .22 short. Is there a plan set for .22lr out there?

Alternatively, is there anywhere I can get shorts for the price of lr's?

Thanks,

Clutch

I have looked over 2 different sets of plans, and don't see much that would stand in the way of converting them up to the LR length.

I suspect that the shorts were chosen for two reasons, Fistly, I suspect, is scale, secondary is low pressure, being that it would be less likely to come apart due to poor fitment or workmanship.
Just supposition on my part though.

Ther would be a bit of a change in the cam track (the distance the bolts have to travel) and the housings for same.

I saw some pics online of an electric minigun in 22 LR. Good stuff, if you can pay the price of the permits.

I don't think you are gonna find shorts at the same price as LR, as the volume is not there to keep the prices down.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

I am 1/3 way into making a D and E 22 short gatling. The shorts are for scale and easier to make the everything for. I was not happy when I found out that it was a short because the advert for the plans only said .22 The quality of the plans and the ability to telephone the maker has overridden any concerns about the short issue. It is a true scale model and won't really see that much shooting to cause worry over the buck or two per box price difference.

I made a barrel for it two days ago and am making another tonight. It is a very good project with a lot of parts to make (Because you need ten of most of them).

JIM

I saw some pics online of an electric minigun in 22 LR. Good stuff, if you can pay the price of the permits.
Trevor,

An electric motor would get me a stay in the greybar motel in this state. It is probably a good thing I can't have Class III stuff cause I'd be broke buying ammo components.

That shorts thing has just bothered me. I've seen a few actions that didn't seem too substantial shooting LR's.

I wonder if anyone has numbers for breach force developed for shorts and LR's?

Clutch

I am 1/3 way into making a D and E 22 short gatling. The shorts are for scale and easier to make the everything for. I was not happy when I found out that it was a short because the advert for the plans only said .22 The quality of the plans and the ability to telephone the maker has overridden any concerns about the short issue. It is a true scale model and won't really see that much shooting to cause worry over the buck or two per box price difference.

I made a barrel for it two days ago and am making another tonight. It is a very good project with a lot of parts to make (Because you need ten of most of them).
I'm glad you are happy with the plans. When I first looked at the two major offerings I keyed on how .22 wasn't immediately followed by LR. I've grown cynical over the years and try to critically read any advertisement.

Where did you get your barrel materials? I bought a bunch of liners a while back and later realized they were 2 inches too short :(

I may end up with D&E plans and build the short version then build another one in LR if it looks doable.

Thanks,

Clutch

If your barrels are too short to comply with legal mins, you can always premanently attach a muzzle attachment to make up the difference to get you to 16". The attachment could be a solid tube if you don't want to add a flash hider.

Caspian

You can always make the tubes tha will hold the liners, at the length you require.
Sleeve them and clean out the free bore of epoxy or solder.
The bores will be oversize, at the muzzle, but the length will still be comprised of a one-piece solid tube.

If concerned about the looks, you could sleeve the remainder of the tube with, say, a 1/4" ID sleeve.

http://www.montysminiguns.com/brian.htm shows the electric one I spoke of earlier. As I said, only an option if you can payfor the required permits (or even get them, where you are). Still an intersting thing to see.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

The RG-G gatling is .22 long rifle. I have the complete plans but have not commited to building one yet! RG-G gatlings

As for the barrel length mentioned, gatling barrels do not need to be 16" long. They are a completely separate case for the ATF, neither pistol or rifle.

Dennis

The RG-G gatling is .22 long rifle. I have the complete plans but have not commited to building one yet! RG-G gatlings
Are you really sure? The last time I checked with RG-G they said theirs was shorts. I don't see any mention of long rifle or shorts on their website.

Thanks,
Clutch

I HAVE BEEN BUILDING A RG-G GATLING FOR THE PAST 9 MONTHS ,IT IS QUITE A PROJECT.BUT IT DOES USE A 22 LR.GOOD PLANS AND THE SITE IS VERY HELPFUL.

hello
if I remember right
you will need 8 inches of 3 3/4 or 4 inch brass

so I have a question for every one.

were is the best place to buy 360 brass?

maybe some one has a piece of drop
for mr clutch

I see my debit card was charged recently. The prints are on the way. I was so hoping to see them at the post office today.

Okay, you postal workers, if you see my prints, get them heading my way and don't sit there examining them ;) I don't mind you reading my magazines but I want my prints NOW!

Clutch

I received my plans today. An impressive pile of paper, something that will occupy my time and budget for a long time to come.

I love page Intro-1 where I'm advised not to shoot it with live ammunition. Fear of litigation is rampant!

All in all the prints look like a good deal, lots of notes for each drawing to help in building. I'm going to be busy as soon as it is warm enough again to play in the garage.

Clutch

I received my plans today. An impressive pile of paper, something that will occupy my time and budget for a long time to come.

Clutch

Now you need to go to the RG-G web site and read everything in the forum. There have been a number of typos in the prints that have been caught and the corrections posted on the forum. The plans themselves do not get updated too often. I'm not sure how far back the archives are available. I have been updating my set of prints for two years as I noticed things in the discussions. Dennis

i have the rg-g plans. i got them a while back, but only really glanced through them. i wanted to get them before someone decided it should be illegal to buy this info, itll prob still be a while yet till i get to try them out. i was thinking of getting the other plans too to compare the 2 designs.

thanks for the heads up on the updates, mixdenny!!

OK, I went through my RG-G plans, here are all the notes and corrections I have added in the past two years, all of them posted on the RG-G forum by Paul Moore, the designer. You may want to save or print this out if you have any thoughts of building the RG-G Gatling.

Desc. 48-05. "Face ends of spacer tube square and to length as shown on drawing". ADD: 9 1/4"

Desc. 48-09 & 09A, ignore the comment about "two different length side brackets". They are the same length.

Desc. 48-30. Part number for best fit woodruff key cutter: Rutland 7299-2025

Dwg 48-01. Add note for drilling .420" flat bottomed holes: Take rake off drill bit. Center drill and rough with stub length drill.

Dwg 48-02. Rear barrel plate, The .125" deep x 25 degree cutouts and the pins are *only* needed for the drum magazine, not necessary if you are only building the stick magazine.

Dwg 48-04. Rifle barrel assembly. Add note: Leave liner ½" long on each end. Tin the liner on the lathe at low speed, sand 1 ½" each end.

Dwg 48-09. Centerline shown in left side view is wrong. The long arm of the left side rail needs to be *above* the centerline.

Dwg 48-09 & 09A, rear view. The reamed .250" hole, .015" oversize, can go to .375" for easier assembly.

Dwg 48-13. Cocking switch knob, .250" thru hole does not need to be reamed.

Dwg 48-20. Recoil pin, the .156" dimension should be .100"

Dwg 48-21. Note B , the .093" hole is the one inside the extractor slot.

Dwg 48-30. Extractor, detail E, add note: Install in magazine to drill hole in correct place.

Dwg 5200. Add note: The base plate bolts to the elevating plate, so the 4 holes in the square pattern need to line up. The holes in the base plate are shown 45 degrees out of true position

Dwg 5300. Part C, the ½" -32 thread is not correct, it should be 5/8" - 32.

Back